Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

disappointed or or inpatient

hi ladies can you help my 17 month old son doesnt walk yet(hes 18 months on the 15th) he didnt crawl until he was 13 months he has a walker when you say to him lets practise walking he goes straight to the walker he has stood up from all 4's and he has taken a few steps but hes much more intreasted in crawling should i be worried?? i was thinking maybe i should take away the walker, when he uses the walker he can stop and spin it round 360 without even wobblin so im assuming he can walk just doesnt want to i am really hoping he can walk before xmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• i have a friend at work and her grandaughter is 18 months + and still not walking. She is a bum shuffler aswell. I think he may just be being lazy hun cos you can see that he can put all his weight on his legs so there is obviously no problems but he may just want to be a bit confident before exploring more. Perhaps you could try walking with him holding his hand alot and this will help with his confidence and balance. Dont worry to much you will only be wanting him to stay still when hes walking everywhere x
  • what about getting a little wooden toddle trunk? my ds loved pushing one and it gave him the confidence to then let go and walk!

or my mil used to put her scarf round his chest under his arms and give him support that way.
  • I don't think you should worry but maybe, when you have uninterupted time, you should hide the walker and walk round the house / garden with him. One thing my husband and I would do is sit opposite each other on the living room floor and encourage James to walk between us, moving further apart as he gained confidence. I think you just have a typical little boy who's decided that he has found his way to get around so why bother with anything else. image
  • I would suggest getting rid of the walker as it is now seemingly hindering him rather than helping & getting a hold on wheelie toy like the vtech activity trolley or a dolly buggy, both these things helped Sonny with balance & he loves pushing things around the house too.
  • Isaac is 19 months old and has only just started to walk unaided, he has a condition called hypermobility which basically means that his joints are very loose and dont support him well, If your lo is taking a few steps on his own then he is nearly there, it takes about 8 weeks to really walk confidently after those first steps, just walk with him holding his hand, he will get there. xx