Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Food issues - really don't know what Im doing so wrong!

Hi girls,

My lo is 14 months old and a terrible eater. The weekend he has been teething and he has hardly ate anything! For example yesterday (he was at home with his dad) he had weetabix, banana, tomato soup, fruit for tea and a beaker of milk at bedtime. Thats it! He is full time at nursery and eats everything they put down in front of him but when we get home he wont eat any of his tea,,,, Im finding it so draining and upsetting I just dont know how to handle it anymore. My OH just leaves it down to me to sort out. He tries to give me lo his tea but he never eats it. He still sleeps all night so cant be that hungry. I dread every meal time because I know its going to be a battle. I still offer him pudding because I know he will eat it so at least he is getting something. Do I just offer him a main course and if he refuses offer nothing else?

The thing that is worrying me the most is that last time he was weighed about 2 weeks ago he had put on 1.5 lb in 4.5 months and has dropped from the 91st to 50th line. My hv wants to see him again in a couple of weeks time but I know he wont have put any weight on.

Any advice is so welcome cause I feel like a bad mum because I must have one something wrong for him to be like this! :cry:

Emma x

Replies

• Hun I cant help but wanted to tell u u are not alone.Pepi is a horrific eater,she is so skinny she looks like a famine victim and if she ate on a day what u said your lo ate I would be beside myself with happiness.I kid u not,she can very easily have something like 3 dry cheerios for breakfast,one teaspoon of whatever is given for a lunch followed by a small pot of youghurt which she actually will eat later,then she more often than not refuses her dinner altogether and just has a bite of toast or a piece of apple!She was born on 91.centile and by the time she was 1 year old she was between 2.and 9centile. but the only thing that helped and still helps me keep my sanity is that she is growing and if she was not getting what she need,she would not...She is now 26 months and 11,4 kg but at 90 cm taller as many of her peers,so I have relaxed a lot,especially as she is also very clever,her speech is very advanced etc so I know she had not suffer due to lack of nutrients or something.Please try not worry as much,hard as that can be,and with the regards to health visitor,if u meet 10 of them,all 10 of them will have completely different opinions so dont let yourself be bullied into thinking something is seriously wrong when another one would simply shrug and said this is normal with toddlers!
  • yep, you are not alone, my boy started this at a little over a year and is still like it and he's now 2 1/2!!

At nursery he will eat everything they offer him, but at home, not a hope in hell!!! He is down to about 2 meals he'll eat at home now, pasta and a tomato sauce or nuggetts and potato!! thats about it! But then yesterday he decided to tell me he now doesn't like pasta!!

I am at the end of my tether with him now again too, I saw a health professional last year who told me to be hard and offer the dinner, and if he doesn't eat it take it away and don't offer anything else, but this hasn't made him eat anymore, or eat wahts in front of him so It hasn't worked, therefore I am taking him back to peadiatric clinic this week.

you are not a bad mum, its a toddler thing, but I feel like i've failed over his eating too, but we haven't its just them!!!