Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Will I Need A Double Pram?

posted in baby too...

all being well (obviously) baby number 2 will be born mid august (elective section - edd 31st) and JJ will be 3/4 weeks off 2 years old...am i going to need a double pram or do u think we'd manage with 1 pram and maybe a step thing on the back for him to stand on? my gut feeling is that we'd be ok with just 1 pram but i'm guessing he'll still have a sleep during the day at 2yrs?? it's very early days yet but just trying to gets things sorted in my head lol! hope everyone is well x

Replies

• No experience to help youi with but i think you could definitely get away with just the single pram - thinkg about how long you would use the double for. a year tops?? i guess it also depends on how many more kids you arep lannig on having - and how far apart! if you have number 3 within 18mths of number 2 you may want the double one down the track as well.

But I'd say just go with the single and maybe get the step thing on the back or even a backpack harness?? xxx
  • Hi Jenny love. Congrats again. I would defo say keep the single and get a sling! A newborn is no weight to carry and even JJ can be carried in the right sling for hours so if he is up and down walking etc then it is useful. I would never buy a double buggy now i have my slings! www.slingguide.com is fab website for advice.
  • hi
    my eldest was 2 and a half and walked everywhere when my second was born but as soon as little one went in pram my eldest played up and wouldn't walk anywhere!!
    i had a step thing - buggy board but it was reliant on my eldest being co-operative! when he used it it was good but he found it tiring and i found it awqward. (kept stepping on it and tripping my self up - doh!)
    i would recommend what Tilly said because thats what i ended up doing and it was MUCH easier ( and cheaper)
    If you have the money and the space for a double and you do a lot of walking then i would say get one but if money is a bit tight and you think you can cope without then i wouldn't bother.
    If you find it a struggle without one you could always get one after baby is born and still get use out of it. If you get a decent one you will always be able to sell it on - or perhaps you could get a second hand one?
  • i think it depends what your routine is? my second son will be just over 2 years when baby arrives and i am getting a double, purely because my eldest is in school for 9am and im not expecting my 2 year old to walk there and back twice a day and wouldnt want my eldest to be late, also with a tantruming 2 year old do much easier to just strap into a buggy and go! i have my eye on the icandy peach as it will turn in to a single once Josh gets to big for it, so wont have to get another as well
  • Ollie was 2 months off being 2 when MJ was born and he is now 2 1/2 and we still use our double A LOT!!!!!

He can walk quite far, but imagine trying to keep hold of a tantruming, runaway toddler (esp at the moment on ice!) with a newborn in a pram. we have a mia moda compagno which is brill for our needs, and it mean Ollie is harnessed in at all times so no need to worry about him running off. image

A sling is ok, but trying to bend down in one to sort something out is almost impossible - you have to hold the top of the baby/child to make sure they're not gonna fall out... or is that just me? :lol: We sometimes use the sling when we're both going out and only want to take the single, but it means whoever has the baby cant really do anything... (cant carry a shopping basket/bend/try anything on etc.. )

a buggy board is also ok, but it has serious drawbacks in our opinions with regards to the toddler being harnessed in, and having to stand and be awake enough to stand all the time.

xxx

• A sling is ok, but trying to bend down in one to sort something out is almost impossible - you have to hold the top of the baby/child to make sure they're not gonna fall out... or is that just me? :lol: We sometimes use the sling when we're both going out and only want to take the single, but it means whoever has the baby cant really do anything... (cant carry a shopping basket/bend/try anything on etc.. )

Just you steph lol! I guess it depends on the sling... I havnt used the buggy in over as month now. When i sling J on the front it is harder to do stuff cos he is so big but a squishy newborn should be weightless and no trouble. I mainly wrap him on my back though which means i am totally hands free and he justy goes to sleep a lot like a newborn lol! What sling do you use with M or O?
  • thanks for the replies...money isn't an issue really, just obv wanna be practical about it...think we'll go for a double cuz it'll be OH that has the LO's during the day and i don't trust him with a newborn in a sling lol!! thanks again x
  • Hi MrsBourne, My age gap is going to be 2 1/2 years and I am going to get a double, I think for days out its a good idea for them to be able to have a rest and I worry that it will be too easy for Neve to wander off in a busy shop if I am preoccupied with the baby for a minute.

Have been looking at the Phil and Teds Vibe and it seems to be pretty much what we are looking for.
  • Hello and congrats again,
    I have one mroe af to go then we are ttc image
    My hubby thinks we can just do with a buggy board but I know if I go out shopping or walking etc then I will wont to put my lo in the pushchair too. Yess buggy board is an ok option but when they are tired and stroppy all they will want to do is sit down. I dont want a toddler creating a big scene!

Its interesting top see what everybody thinks. To start with I will use the babybjorn carrier we have if and when baby no2 arrives. We would like more than 2 if we can so a double pushchair in my eyes will be a good investment. We are looking at 3 wheelers and Im currently in preference of the side by side ones. However, im sure this will change!

I personally think with some little tired legs a double pushchair will be useful but atthe end of the day its persional choice. Definately look around and try them out with oh and see what you think. Theres always some good deals out there.

• Just you steph lol! I guess it depends on the sling... I havnt used the buggy in over as month now. When i sling J on the front it is harder to do stuff cos he is so big but a squishy newborn should be weightless and no trouble. I mainly wrap him on my back though which means i am totally hands free and he justy goes to sleep a lot like a newborn lol! What sling do you use with M or O?

:lol:
    MJ is still only in 3-6 month clothing so not huge by any means and she still makes it difficult if on the front and is still too small to go on the back....
    we've got a tomy one.. not sure what style.

I'd be terrified of her falling out of it if i bent forward and she was on the back! :lol:
    havent used a sling with Ollie since he was about 8 months (younger than MJ is now!) as he was such a big baby it got impossible... :roll:

xxx
  • Ah Stephanie you need educating! those bloomin crotch danglers! lol!!!

Have a nosey on my FB pics and the wonder of my wrap and mei tai...

I can lend you a proper sling for M if you think you would use it?
  • Charlotte will be 2 and half when pip no2 here. We are def thinking of getting a double buggy - most probably at Phil n Teds.
  • oh man this post has got my brain on over drive!!!!

I so was NOT thinking of getting a double buggy - love my single and don't want to change it! Max will be 32 months when new lo arrives and I was planning on him walking or me slinging the bubs but now I am panicing this may not work!!!

ARRRGGGGHHH - will it work to wait till new lo arrives and try it out then rush and get a doubler if we need it???
  • Good idea Maximum, I think that would work.
  • :lol: Panic buying is me down to a T so I am sure it will work for us! We need to save the pennies if we possibly can so I think it is the best plan for us!
  • I can't do panic buying, I am horribly indecisive and need to research things first or I leave the shop feeling like I have been had - because I have usually been had!
  • Might be changing my mind now too...really love my bugaboo and want to use the carry cot again but after today's shopping trip with Lily I think I will need a pushchair to put her in too. Hubby still says use the sling and take the holiday buggy if we all go out together, but what do I do when on my own !!?? I like to research things too Lottie and Neve but bizarrley our best decisions are usually the ones we make on the spur of the moment! And I'm an panicing about this and we are only just ttc number 2!
    xxx
  • I will research prior so we can be a bit prepared but hope not to need one!
  • I hope not to need one too! I keep thinking of the expense and I want longer off with the next baby so every penny counts! Plus I would have to sell my bugaboo and I am quite attached to it lol! x Anyway, you will all have your babies before me so you can advise me! xxx
  • We are getting a double buggy too!Lily will be 21 months when bumpage is here image I don't want to be caught out with her and baby and she gets tired and nowhere to put her! We are looking at phil and teds but if I can persuade Matt to spend the extra pennies we might get an icandy!x