Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

fruit and veg

After somebody posted a link for littlepeoplesplates website, i used to tot it up calculator for 7days and wasn't really suprised by the analysis. She's doing fine for all food groups apart from fruit and veg, but i really struggle with this.

She does eat fruit, bananas, rasins and sometimes small oranges, but its very hit and miss. what she'll wolf down one day, she won't touch the next. ive tried other fruits but without success. aparantly at nursery she has fruit as a snack (one day a week) and eats a few bits fine.

ill be honest, though i feel terrible, we rarely have veg with out meal. i love veg, but hubbys fussy so we rarely buy any, and when we have evie's never touched it on her plate. she'll usually eat peas if they're in a shepherds pie but thats really about it.

She's absolutely nowhere near her 5 a day and i wanted some ideas to encourage her to eat more, try new things and perhaps for the mean time, meals i can "disguise" veg within. tonight i was thinking of doing a vegetable curry, as curry is usually one of her fave meals.

i wish i'd gotten into better habbits when she was much younger. how can i rectify this? xx

Replies

• Luckily, Eoin tends to eat his veg and fruit, however, he did go through a fussy stage when he noticed NO veg on daddys plate! During this stage I would roast veg in the oven, tomatoes, mushroom, courgette, onion ect and blend/puree them to make pasta or bolognaise sauces! Also, I would make Eoins porridge with v.small chunks of banana, plum amd grated pear ect hidden in and he'd wolf it down!

At the same time though Id put visable veg/fruit on his plate, if he refused it I wouldnt utter a word, just clean him up and get him down.. if he tried some he'd get applause and attention, worked eventually!!!

good luck xxxx
  • I'm lucky in that lo loves fruit. He would eat it all day long if I didn't offer him anything else.

i try to make the fruit exciting for him and we buy lots of different kinds. I find the little packs in Asda for ??1 each are great for trying pineapple, mango etc. He loves strawberries, blueberries and grapes. Also he's just started liking kiwi which has loads of vit c in it.
    I make it up into a wee fruit salad that he has every day after his savoury at lunch.

I think variety and making it look interesting is the key.

I must admit he probably gets his 5 a day from fruit alone as he's not very keen on veg. He will eat it is for example carrots are mixed in with cottage pie. And he will eat peas off his plate( one by one) But mostly plays with any other veg I offer. But I continue to offer it and he sometimes tries a green bean or a bit or brocolli.
    I buy the frozen veg that comes in little packets that you steam in microwave. Much less wastage than buying fresh and the nutrients are same, if not better, than fresh.

Things you could try
    Cherry tomoatoes
    mixing some parsnip/wede etc in mashed potatoes
    hide peppers, mushroms onions in tomatoe sauce and blend
    fruit smoothies
    I make a fruit compote with frozen fruit and mix with honey for his porridge

Hope this helps, S x

• Hi,
    we don't always eat together so I often use frozen mixed veg - 2mins in the microwave and only wasting a couple of spoonfuls if its not eaten.
    If Carrie isnt eating veg I tend to keep sticking it on her plate anyway - sometimes she eats it and sometimes not.
    When trying to "hide" it I've tried mixing a spoonful in mashed potato or rice, under melted cheese on toast, in an omelette/quiche, grated carrot in cream cheese, putting chopped fruit in ice cream/jelly/yogurt/cereal etc, chopped fruit and little bits of chocolate for a snack , fruit bread and letting her peel a banana or orange by herself.
    I think the important thing is to keep offering fruit and veg but don't stress if they're not interested - if it's always on offer they'll get to it eventually
    xx
  • I felt terrible the last week as we've been moving and renovating our new house (oh doing it all himself & family) and its been crazy - lo's had no fruit image

We're lucky as lo LOVES fruit & veg and will eat most kinds, though as a family, we are very boring with our veg (carrots , peas or sweetcorn)

I'm fussy with fruit & veg and so is OH BUT luckily the ones we are fussy with are the ones the other likes (eg, I hate peas but oh likes them; Oh doesnt eat grapes but I do; I eat onions oh doesn't, nanny likes bananas but mummy n daddy don't etc, etc!) so he always sees the main people in his life eating a variety of foods.

There are lots of different things to try, what about dried pineapple and papaya, lo tried that recently and liked it as its sweet. Dried apricots and different coloured fruits and veg to make it more fun.

Soups are great for this!!! My lo hates broccoli but loves broccoli soup. If you boil broccoli in chicken stock until it's v soft then add a couple of dairylea triangles and blend it x