Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

when to stop formula and sterilising?

hi everyone, lo is 11mths, well his 1st birthday is a2 wks time and we have stopped sterilising a couple weeks ago...and we have recently started mostly giving him cows milk instead of formula, but he has 3 9oz bottles a day which im told is a lot. he eats really well, just has what we have mostly...do you think this is ok, or do you think he still needs all bottles to be formula?

we buy aptimal growing up milk and give this to him most days, but not every day, to kind of phase out the formula, do you think this is ok?

Replies

• My lo turns 2 on Monday. We stopped his formula when we ran out very shortly before his first birthday. He went straight onto cows milk but he only had 2 bottles a day, early morning and last thing at night. The only time we had follow on milk was when we were away and it was easier to use the pre mixed cartons than try and keep fresh milk.
    I don't know when you give your lo bottles but why don't you try introducing milk in a sippy cup as a drink with meals or snacks rather than the 3rd bottle.
  • I stopped when Kara was 11 months as she went onto Cows milk then.
  • I hardly ever steralised after Harry was about 4 months. Didn't see the point when it all went in hot water to soak anyway.

We bought one box of the toddler formula (1+) i think it is and when that was finished he went on cows milk. He's had cows milk in cereal and cooking since 6 months though xxx
  • We stopped sterlising just before James 1st birthday, he went straight on to cows milk. He has milk in a beaker during the day and bottle at night - more for comfort. They should be having about a pint a day but to take in account yogurts, cheese etc, but James prob has more, he has it on his cereal, beakers in the morning, sometime 1 in the afternoon and bedtime one xx