Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Should I be worried?

Sorry if this is TMI but Peter has been peeing a lot recently. Over the past week we have had regular daytime leaks, sometimes as many as two a day, which is unusual for him. And about ten days ago he woke at 3 am soaked through, then went straight back to sleep when I had changed his nappy. We have had the occasional overnight leak because he is in reusables but these tend not to occur until at least a reasonable hour in the morning. Having a completely drenched nappy at 3 is not usual (and thankfully seems to have been a one off).

He is also drinking a lot during the day - two 190 ml cups of milk plus 2+ 190 ml cups of water and whatever he can cadge out of our glasses at meal times (he loves drinking out of 'grown up' glasses if allowed). It doesn't seem to affect his appetite and he generally seems fine in himself but I am starting to wonder if he might have a UTI or something. He is showing no signs of distress or discomfort and everything else seems normal, apart from a bit of nappy rash.

So, should I be worried or is this just a question of helping him to regulate his liquid intake and changing him more often? I don't really want to deny him water during the day if I can help it.

Thanks.

Replies

• Hiya,

We've been going throught this with Al as well, just in the last couple of months. I can't remember how old Peter is but think he might be a couple of months younger than Al (19 months)? We've had to go back to a two part reusable system rather than pocket nappies and I also make sure that, rather than have a whole beaker of water at once, he has half a beaker but sllightly more often so he is still having the same amount of liquid but spaced thoughout the day. We also have to make sure he is changed at least once every two hours if not sooner. Al has certainly been thirstier with the warmer weather and needing to drink more than he was. Needless to say I can't wait till he is ready to potty train (though it will be some time off yet I think!!)
  • I've often wondered this myself. Gabe often leaks in the day. I try to cut his fluid intake to an extent (obviously I'd never let him go thirsty). Gabe is greedy with juice and will drink one 10oz cup after another, after another if you let him. I dont think he's always actually thirsty but if you keep offering it to him he keeps drinking so I tend to only give him 5oz at a time now. I'm dreading potty training. As soon as Gabe was fully weaned (and drinking juice) at about 1 yr he has always leaked whatever nappy brand I use, if I forget to change him every 2 - 3 hours he leaks, its annoying! However, he's got better overnight. He used to always wake up soaked but he hardly wees overnight now thank god! As to whether it's a worry, I really don't know....I have never thought it was a problem. x
  • Hi there ,my dd drinks quite a lot and is often quite wet but just to say i looked after a little boy a couple of years ago who suddenly started peeing a lot and also drinking lots and he had to be tested for diabeties ....now im not for one minute saying this is what it is but is he thirsty ...i mean if u offer him water rather than juice will he drink that the same? often they just drink juice because it tastes nice .....well my dd does ...she wouldnt winge for a drink but if i give her 2/3/4 cups a day of juice she will happily drink it xxx
  • Thanks, ladies. Emmsy, he is just 18 months (on Wednesday) and sounds very similar to Al. We already use a two-part system which is why I am getting a bit frustrated. I may add a booster during the day, but I'll definitely change him more often. And thank you (and gsmummy) for the tip on offering less more often. I'll give that a go and see how we get on.

Aerosmith, I only offer him water as we don't drink much juice in the house anyway and he seems to like it (like his dad, who will guzzle pints at a go). I'm not really that worried but I am taking him to be weighed next week so I'll double check with the health visitor. I hope it isn't diabetes (which is a complete pain to treat) but at least that would be a manageable condition and not something that is likely to be causing him pain at the moment, like a UTI. Fingers crossed this is just a developmental stage and he'll grow out of it. I have finally convinced him to actually sit on his potty the other day, although we are a long way off actual potty training yet!

Thanks again for all your advice. This site is so reassuring.
  • hi yeah aerosmith is right, they are the most common symptoms for diabetes. my HV has told me to keep an eye out for them in both of my lo's (their dad is insulin dependant type 1 diabetic), but there are a few other symptoms too, they are headaches, blurred vision (this can be noticed in a lo if they are getting increasingly clumsy) and i'm sure theres a couple more but i cant find the book on hyperglycaemia.

i think a uti would cause him more discomfort than he is experiencing, but it could just be a phase, my 2 yr old drinks and wees loads so we did his blood sugar and its fine. xxx