Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Dropping food from highchair

Hi,
This question also ties in with my previous one, of my 1yr old having tantrums...

My daughter also drops food on the floor, when she is in her high chair. My partner and I tell her 'no' and try to distract her, but this doesn't always work.
I have wondered if at times she does it beacuse she isn't hungry, but she also does it when I know she must be starving!

I know it is an age thing, and all kids do it out of curiosity - but how did you get your kid to stop?
:roll:

Replies

• I know it's really annoying when they do that! My daughter did that and sometimes still does - but rarely. The best thing to do is get her out of the phase but putting down sheeting/newspaper at everymeal time. Then when she drops the food - just let her, ignore her, don't make eye contact and don't say 'no'. When she's eating nicely give her lots of praise and smiles. Then she'll associate dropping food with no attention and she won't like that.

If you keep this up - after a few meal times I'm sure she will get the idea and you won't need to put down any papers.

Hope it works, Karys xx
  • i agree just ignore it totally - in fact look away when she does it. she's just after a reaction/attention, if you give none to the naughty stuff, she'll get fed up. give tons of praise & claps etc when she does good things with the food. if it carries on, just finish the meal & take her out of the high chair. if she's till hungry, give her food on the floor from a plate (like a picnic). good luck. xx
  • Yes i agree, i went through it with my daughter, to a point when we re-decorated we put down laminate floor & got washable paint for the walls for when it was painted in Spaghetti bolognaise - lol, we just ignored here & she soon got the message & stopped.
  • will try this for sure. Thanks x
  • Thanks, Things have been getting better... and she only tends to do this now when she isn't getting full attention!