Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Dummies and bottles

Hello all,

Hope you all had an excellent Christmas and that Santa was very kind to you. My lo is now 18 months old and she has a dummy for sleep times and a bottle at night before bed. Does anyone know what the advice os for stopping dummies and bottles? Should I be trying to wean her off both or just let her have them for as long as we see fit? I know every lo is different but would just like to know what everyone else does!

Ta for your help

Charlotte

Replies

• hi my daughter still has her bottle for bed and a dummy for sleeping she has just turned 2 spoke to the health visitor about it and she told me to say father xmas took then but she still has them as she wouldn sleep without them going to try at easter when she is at the age to understand more my mam wasnt happy about me taking them away she thinks she is too younge she let me,my bro and sister decide when we wanted to give them up plus my bros dd only gave her bottle up when she was 6 when i had my daughter sorry this aint much help
  • Ours have all weaned off the dummy completely by about age 2......gradual process leading up to it etc.

Like ours were, ur lol onlt has the one bottle. We just let ours have the one bottle at night and cups/beakers during the day - ours each gradually weaned themselves off the bottle completely between 2 1/2 and 3 yrs old.
  • Kara is 15 months and is off her bottles completely. She was sick at the start of December so I didn't give her any and then she was diagnosed with Diabetes so they wanted her off them. I just didn't put her back on them so that was easy. I will probably try and take the dummy away when she is about 2 if not sooner. She only takes it for sleeping now so she doesn't have it as much during the day compared to what she used to.

Why don't you try her on a beaker even for the milk and see how she goes and then work on the dummy. It would be too hard to do the 2 at the one time.
  • That's great! Thank you all for your hints, I'll just do it bit by bit then! Hurrah!