Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

bath nightmares!!!

My 20 month year old has just started to refuse to get in the bath. I thought it was because I was bathing her baby brother (8 weeks old) 1st so have changed that, but still no joy. I have tried getting in with her, but she just screams (and it bounces off the tiles so we all end up with a huge headache!) and tries to get out. She gets so distressed she comes out in a blotchy rash, but as soon as she is out of the water she is laughing and happy. She plays happily with a water table and splashes with her hands etc.. and I have tried having the water cooler or warmer. Any ideas welcome as I need a big glass of wine after bath time!!!

Replies

• maybe you could take her to buy a new bath toy and make her feel really involved in bath time and explain lets put the water in the bath so you can play with your new toy ....
  • Have you tried to get her a bit more involved with bathing your lo? ask her to pass you things and maybe bath her legs ect..

I dont know if it would work but worth a try x
  • how about giving it a rest for a while, bath her in the sink, if you've got one big enough! she may find it exciting change of location and may make bath time fun again. sure it's just a phase!
  • thanks for all those everyone, we have a new toy and have had a bit of fun splashing! you have reduced my need for alcohol!!
  • Hi - my eldest is like this and she is 5! She hates getting her face wet but is due to start swimming lessons soon so we have given her more independence and we are letting her shower herself, we stay in the bathroom with her and still help with hairwashing but everything else she does herself. Could you try letting her choose her soap, washmitt etc?
    Hope it improves.
    Sam xx