Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What do you do on Christmas Eve?

As the title says...

It's our first as a family and our first with my husband not working so we've never really made any big deal with it. My parents prepare the veg after the kids have gone to bed, then put out the presents and have an early night. My dad works in the day so they don't do anything special then. My husbands parents are a bit bah humbug so they don't have any traditions :lol:

Replies

• Hiya Jem!

I love the atmosphere on xmas eve!! we pop into town 1st thing to drop off pressies at my mil's & sil's, then we pop somewhere for a cheapy but nice lunch then we're home in the afternoon and watch a nice christmassy film, we then all have our showers, get in our jim jams and watch miracle on 34th street whilst opening up the chocs!!!
  • i was raised as a veggie and on Christmas day we would have Chinese lol, so we have a Chinese on c eve, i wanted to go to church this year, will be sorting out the presents and putting them under the tree my 2 yr old would rip them open if he saw them lol, have a glass of Baileys and have a lovely dinner and lit a candle for jesus.
  • Christmas Eve is my favourite day of the year. I usually go round to my mum's early in the morning and take her to collect the turkey and veg etc about 7.30 am then it's back to hers and I usually occupy my little sister whilst my mum gets bits sorted. She always bakes loads of sausages on Christmas eve and I usually sit there eating them all day ha ha. In the past we've gone to the panto early afternoon and out for tea but not doing that this year.
    Once all the children are in bed we do a big presant drop as noone in our family puts presants under the tree till santas been. This year will also include us building trikes and slides etc for rhys ha ha, no doubt oh will have a few drinks whilst putting pressies under the tree I'd normally have a few mulled wines but think may have to make myself an alcohol free version this year. usually watch a few Christmas films during the day too and have to watch Tjhe Snowman befor bed ha ha (I am such a child)
  • I PANIC!!!!!!

And stress that not everything is perfect, however much I tell myself it's not possible. I don't even know what would be perfect for me lol!
    I'm determined to enjoy this Christmas but as always it will be spent pleasing various family members. I think we're going to stay at my mums Xmas eve bcoz having the grandkids there will take her mind off losing her dad, plus my brother is staying there (normally lives in Poland). That way when my dad goes out visiting on Xmas day he can see me and my bro in one place not 2.
    The way some of you spend Christmas eve sounds lovely, so I may come back on here that day and re read this thread to try and get into the spirit of things!

X

[Modified by: hayls on December 19, 2009 01:21 PM]

• Im working boooo!! My oh is picking up his bro from the airport then bringing the little man into work so I can show him off then we are driving about 100 miles to the inlaws, will then probably put lo to bed and have a nice baileys mmmm
  • I'm in a similar situation, I'm having to start the traditions from scratch!

We always visit my dads family on Xmas Eve as it is my brother's birthday. This year I'm planning on giving the girls a bath when we get home and all of us get into our PJs. I want to watch a Christmassy film with them (oh will be going into work at teatime) and then get them to leave out a drink and mince pie for Father Christmas and a carrot for Rudolph before they go to bed. With a homemade Santa please stop here sign :lol: They have stockings to put up too, just before bed I think (never had one myself so don't know the traditional time to hang them).
    Will read them a Christmas bedtime story too.

Then I'll be on my own sorting out presents, wrapping last minute bits, maybe indulge in a glass or 2 of wine and a few (okay a lot) of chocolates while watching a film.

Think Christmas morning I'll probably wake up earlier than the kids :lol:
  • :lol: Niki please don't tell on me!!! Pretty please!

You all sound like you'll have a lovely time. Think we'll pinch some of your ideas image xx
  • All the presents are wrapped and under the tree. I have a foot stool which goes up to the lowest Christmas tree branches and my lo rocking donkey is bnext to it so my daughter cant see the presents!
    Im sure when my lo is older they wont be going under until Christmas eve!

When hubby gets in I will get him to put together our los presnts, her first pram. I will then cover it up. Make sure all the presents have tags on them! Fill my lo stocking with presents and put in our room (when she is older then will go in her room). I will prepare the vegetables and set the table for breakfast. Have some mulled wine/wine and hubby wont be able to resist and will open some chocs! Sit down, put our feet up and watch a film. A mug of hot choco then some fun under the duvetimage

When lo is older I will probably take on mums tradition when I lived at home, which is to have a Christmas eve supper. We would have Christmas music playing and eat by candle light and of course have some mulled wine.

lea77 - we used to hang our stockings over the bottom of our beds. The father Christmas aka mummy would take them out of our room when we are asleep fill them up and place them on the bed (as we got older it ended up in a box with a few presents which didnt fit in!). Then we woke up we would feel a heavy weight on the duvet and knew father Christmas had been! We werent allowed to open the presents until 7am at the earliest!