Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Reins

Hi ladies,

My little girl is 16 months and is now walking confidently. I'd like to get her some reins so she can walk along the street with me when we're out and about, but I'm wondering which kind to get. Should I get a harness type, or one of those little back packs with reins?

Would appreciate hearing your experiences/recommendations!

Thanks x

Replies

• Options
    I personally got the harness ones from Mothercare -cheap and cheerful but did the job!
    They really are great although in all honesty I have now taught my lo to hold my hand in most instances and I don't bother with them.
    She is 19 months next week and is pretty good at staying with me.
    I think when she gets a bit older and starts playing up and running away I will introduce them again!
  • Options
    I spent about ??11 on a winnie the pooh pair from boots when ds was about 11months and I have NEVER used them!!!

I tried them on him when he started walking and he went ballistic so never bothered with them again. He hasn't been in a push chair for months and months (29months now) and walks very nicely beside me and holds my hand.

I'm glad now I didn't use them as I have a 2 1/2year old who loves to walk everywhere and walks sensibly and calmy beside me without them, and he wouldn't dare run off or pull away as he knows its wrong and dangerous

so what I'm saying is I don't see why you need to fork out on them. if you start lo walking, holding your hand from a young age she'll learn to walk nicely beside you without them
    xx
  • Options
    I got a harness set from the pound shop and they work perfectly well, but am trying to get lo to walk beside me and hold my hand (unless he sees a cat and then the reins come in very handy!) but he's only 15 months so doesn't always get it yet. x
  • Options
    We got given some of these, but the bear version:
    http://www.smalldudes.co.uk/epages/smalldudes.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/smalldudes/Products/ABGB00010

I like them and have used them quite often altho not on the road as the roads round us are so busy but have used them round shops/garden centres. My lo walks well but sometimes does like to wonder off so it is useful to be able to pull her back. She likes to wear them and is always asking for bear, she quite often walks round the house with them on x
  • Options
    We bought the TommeeTippee Harness type and while DS didn't object when a friend bought him monkey backpack one for xmas he thought it was great. He'll actually pick it up as he gets out of the car and willingly stand still to have it put on, bonus I find with this type too is you can hook the lead up round monkey head quickly and easily, so he can run free but can still grab it in a hurry if you need to!
  • Options
    Charlotte hated reins. She wont wear them now - but she's reluctant to hold hands too cos she wants to do everything herself.

PIL's bought her a rucksack with a harness on. She's tried it on once and seemed to get on ok with it. More so cos she just thinks she's wearing her own bag and the harness is on the top loop of the rucksack so she can't see or feel it.

I don't use the rucksack on a daily basis. It will be used when out and about, say on holiday when I need to keep a closer "rein" on her!