Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Worst night of my life

On monday night at 10pm Sonny (19 months) suffered a febrile convulsion brought on by a viral infection. One minute he was lying on me with a temperature babbling away so I put him down to get some calpol & literally 90 seconds later he was unconscious, frothing, & eyes rolling in the back of his head, I called 999 & the girl on the phone talked me through the recovery position, he was frothing so much then started twitching & convulsing, he bit his tongue & was frothing blood then vomited his lunch all over the bed.

The emergency doc was there in 3 minutes & the ambulance arrived a couple of minutes after that, they took him to the local A & E & we spent the night. They took blood & just kept dosing him with calpol & paracetamol & by the time we got sent to the ward at 2am his temp was down to safe level. He managed a few hours sleep before the nurse work him up at 6am to take his temp (why do they do that!!!, ewake a sick sleeping baby argh)

We spent the whole of yesterday there & in the process of checking for a virus found he had elevated enzymes in his blood, relating to either a problem with bones or liver which they think is a result of his dairy free diet so have put him on vitamin d supplements till the results of the phosphate tests come back (which could be a couple of months)

Last night he was very clingy & gripie as he is constipated probably cause of the stress & medications & his temp was still over 39 all of last night too so last night was a tough one too & I ended up holding him whilst he slept, lying on the sofa as it was the only place I could get comfy with him. Today he was a nightmare & every time I stood up or tried to go to another a room he would screech, so definitely some anxiety now. Tonight he has gone down to bed but keeps stirring in his sleep, thankfully his temp hasn't raised again but the hospital have given me an advise sheet on what to do if it happens again as well as some paracetamol suppositories in case he fits for longer than 5 minutes in future.

All in all a nightmare couple of days & the scariest thing I have ever experienced. To top it all off I now have a chest infection & had to go tot he docs today for antibiotics. :\?

Just wanted to get that off my chest, I'm off to bed :\(

[Modified by: Beebee on 17 December 2008 20:47:46 ]

Replies

• Oh my god you poor things - I really hope you all feel better soon.
  • Oh my god - you poor thing. You must have been terrified. I really hope both you and Sonny are feeling much better soon,
    Take care
    xxx
  • awww hun u must have been so scared u poor thing and poor sonny poor little mite , i used to work in a nursery and a little girl had a febrile convulsion whilst sittin on my knee when i 1st started it scared the living crap out of me i had nightmares for weeks cant imagine how anxious u must feel now ....i really hope sonny gets better soon and no more scary episodes big hugs (((()))))

lisa xxxxxxxxx
  • Oh no poor thing xxxx

That sounds so scary, but it sounds like you handled it really well I probably would have just panicked :\(
    Hope he feels better soon xxx
  • Cheers girls, well good news, he went down at 7.30 last night, woke at 4am crying, I put him in bed with us & he slept till 7.30am. So he is much better spirits today. I sent him for a couple of hours to the childminder as there is a little Christmas party today at one of the groups & tbh I need a break from him as well. he is still super clingy but only when i am around so I am hoping a change of scenery & some play time will take his mind off it all.

I managed to get a good 8hrs last night too so feel much better as well.

I hope none of you ever have to go through one of these but make sure you know your basic CPR just in case, I am def gonna look into a course now.
  • Aww hun, that must have been awful for you, my hubby has suffered with fits and it really is the most frightening thing to see, must be even worse when its your baby xxx
  • aw I've just read what happened. Sorry you had to go through that, it must have been very scary. Am glad to hear he is in better spirits now.xxx