Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

drinking puddle water???

I'm a little concerned about dd3 she was spashing with her sisters in the puddles in the garden and then when I turned around she was down there slurping like a kitten. I picked her up and explained, yucky... not healthy. But the next thing she does is stick her hands in and start licking them. So I brought her inside.

Here's my question, roughly 12 hours later and she's got a high temperature, and is feeling unwell. Do you think the two are related? Should I take her in to the doctor, or watch and wait, maybe it's just a cold?

Thankyou

xx

Replies

• I had a similar thing although my LO is 10 months, we went to mum and dads house and my cousins little girl but the tap on the water butt and my LO was drinking from it ahhhhhhh. The next morning he has high temp etc and was poorly for a good few days, again cold or the water.....

I doubt it will be anything sinister...so the usual calpol etc applies.....etc

Let us know what they say if you do contact GP x
  • Hi hun, definately seek medical attention, If you take a look through recent posts in the forum, juniemummy posted the other day about her son doing the same, and getting very poorly with temp/sickess from it. I think the post is called "tyler and our trip to hospital" or similar.

hopefully she will be alright and get well soon but she may well get a funny tummy from it, so ring NHS for some advice xx

[Modified by: linziMc on July 27, 2010 06:49 PM]

• TBH it is probably more likely to be a viral infection than from the water. Firstly puddle water shouldn't be overly dirty - depending on where it is it is likely to be fresh rain water and soil, not an unusual delicacy to the average toddler (Abby is constantly eating everything). Secondly a bacterial infection would be obvious through diarrhoea and vomiting.

Water that has been standing for a while, such as in a bucket or water butt, may contain nasty water-bourne bacteria but it does take a while for them to reproduce to dangerous levels.

I would use calpol to reduce the temperature and watch for other signs. Unfortunately they do have a tendency to worry us. :roll:

Hope she feels better soon,
    H xx