Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Our 2 yr old calls us by our first name...?

Evie who's 28 months always called us by our first name! What's that all about? She used to say 'mummy' and 'daddy' now it's 'come on Karys' 'wake up Paul.' She hardly says mummy anymore unless she wants something or is cuddling me. She's also very bossy and tells us what to do all the time.
It's quite scary really when we're out shopping and she calls my name if she can't see me she shouts 'Karys where are you?' or if she wants something is 'please can I have that...please Karys please.' People must think I'm her nanny or something, not her mum.

Does anyone else's tot call them by their first name? My oh get's quite upset when she calls him 'Paul' all the time.

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev171pp___.png

Replies

• my son is 23 months and although he calls me mama, he always calls his dad by his name. i think it's because his dad doesn't live with us and he only hears other people calling him by his name whereas at home he hears my other son calling me mum all the time. but if you ask him "where's daddy" he does point to him so he does know who he is, i think he just gets confused but it sounds like your daughter is past that stage and just doing it to wind you and your oh up!!
    do you correct her when she does it? she may just be trying to get a reaction from you
  • My daughter is 2, calls me momma but her dad babe as that is what i call him!! It does make us laugh more than anything especially when out shopping!
    I have another daughter who's 11 and used to call her dad by his first name but she grew out of it, think is because we'd ignore her till she said daddy then she got the attention.

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev306prs__.png

• My 5 yr old did it when he was about 2 and still does for comedic effect, little bugger! He knows it winds his dad up! I still correct him and say, that's daddy to you. Perhaps do this to your dd, it'll soon wear off (and stay worn off if you're lucky!).
  • Hello, my daughter refused to call me anything but da - boo - da - ba, until her younger sister started calling me mummy. She knew I was her mummy, and would point to me as her mummy if anyone asked, but I swear she did it just because she could tell by my face I was sad that she refused to say mummy. At first I would correct her, and she thought this was a great game, however when my younger daughter began speaking and said mamma I made a big fuss over her for it, and I never heard da - boo - da - ba again, I quickly became, "My Mummy, no you mamma". lol. I think it may be a bit of a phase but it will pass. Best luck.
  • Thanks girls, I really don't know why she does it. I don't think it's for attention as she says it so casually like she would say 'mummy' she does call me mummy the odd time, but then sort of corrects herself so she says 'mummy, erm karys.' in one sentence.

I hope she grows out of it soon!

• Do you and your oh call each other by your names or mummy and daddy? Sometimes kids will just copy what they hear. I always call my oh daddy in front of our son.
  • yeah always call each other by mummy /daddy and correct her when she calls you by your name
  • i remember reading someone that children call pearents by their names as they are learning you are not just mummy and daddy and are testing your names out. wouldn't worry, as others have said its a phase, just keep correcting her.
  • That's a point I do call him Paul and he calls me by my first name. she must be copying us!!!! Cheers, Karys xxx

• my 18 month old has just started to call us by our 1st name too, mummy and daddy no longer hehe

my health visitor say's to try calling each other mummy and daddy when u are talking to each other and this may help. i suppose they are just copying what they:lol: hear everyone else call usimage
  • My lil boy is 17months and he has been calling his dad Scott since he was 1 year old, the past few months he has decided that must be what you call people to get there attention so no matter who it is or where we are he shouts Scott at people! he can say mum, dad & nan but doesnt. Hopefully he will grow out of it!
    Em x