Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

when to introduce a junior bed

hi just wandered when everyone else introduced a junior bed to their lil one how old and how did they go about it

Replies

• hi, i havent introduced one yet as my dd is only 1 but i am expecting baby number 2 in a few weeks so we will be putting dd in a bed at around 18mnths, not sure how to go about it?i thought maybe just putting her in bed at nap times to start off with, im terrified that she is going to fall out of bed :S but it has to be done at some point image
  • Hi,

I i just ordered my lo a disney princess bed, its so cute lol. She is 2 next month so its about time. I found this great first duvet thing that helps to stop them falling out while they get used to a bed http://www.grobag.com/firstduvet.aspx

Lisa xx
  • thanks for the replys so far . lillypiesmum i had a look at the link on first duvets and they look really good im def gonna invest in one .
  • hey my litlle man is 16 months has been in a bed for about a month as he kept climbing out of his cot and he has been brilliant sleeps much better he doesn't get me up till 9 earliest every morning its great
  • hi lammycutie, how did you make the transfer from cot to bed?over time or just in one go? its nice to know someone has done it at an early age and been successful, wen i tell people my dd will be in her own bed before shes 18months they think im stupid or something!
  • I put my little girl into a bed when she was 13months and at first she though tit was a game as she could climb out of it but everytime she climed out of it i just put her back in and said goodnight and in the end she got into the habit of laying in the bed getting a cuddle then going to sleep.
  • i too want to know how to make it easier as we tried tyler the other nite but he just sat up and screamed so i put him back in his cot he lways cries to sleep any way so i think we r going to find it hard ourslves so any ideas would b great
  • we havent tried lilly in her new bed yet but i know how it will go, she's a little monkey so she will be up and down and pulling all her clothes out of the drawers etc for the fun of it lol
  • Both of my little ones were in beds just before there 2nd birthdays x
    they were both great about it loved the idea of being in a big bed so there really want anything to it, x
  • Sonny has been in his bed for about 2 weeks & he is 15 1/2 months old. I put him in it cause he was too big for his cot, he is very tall & was waking up loads due to be stuck or hitting his head on the bars, since being in his bed he hasn't woken once, so it is workign well.

So far so good, he is still blocked in by pillows & I have been pushing his cot up to the side of the bed too to stop him falling out but tbh he doesn't need that now as I have been putting a sausage pillow along the side of the bed instead & that is working well. Once he is used to sleeping in it then I can remove the pillow too but for now it helps me have peace of mind that he isn't going to fall out & it also prevents him from getting out & pissing around in his room when he is supposed to be sleeping.

I vetoed the idea of the growbag duvet as he is a really active sleeper & I worried that he would end up stuck at the bottom of the duvet unable to get out so he sleeps in a baby grow & then a fluffy thicker one on too so he doesn't need a blanket over him to be warm.

[Modified by: Beebee on September 02, 2008 08:04 AM]

• hi beebee

how did you start the process did you put him in big bed and just leave him and he settled straoight away or did it take a whilex
  • Hi, I just put him in & did the usual kiss night night & out of the room I go. He is always zonked by the end of the day so I don't know that he even noticed the difference in the first couple of days & now just likes flopping around the bed for a few minutes (hence the pillows to stop him going over the end) before falling asleep.
  • robyn had her junior bed at 18 months, we folded a duvet up and put it on the floor incase she fell out. we just put her in it one night and went from there, we dismantled cot after 4 days so that we couldn't look back, we needed it for baby no 2 who was due in 4 months but didn't want her to think that she had to have big bed cos of the baby.
    the 1st week was great, she fel out a few times (she's very active in her sleep) but we just let her sleep on the duvet (unless she cried) the 2nd week she realised she had the freedom of her room and although she never played with her toys (still doesn't) she took all the nappies out the cupboard (she only did it twice!!:x) but she kept coming out her room, so we used the rapid return technique, it meant i had to eat my tea outside her room for a week but at least she got the hang of it! we still have the odd occasion where she gets out of bed now (28months) but it's usually cos she's not very tired due to a badly timed nap earier in day (our fault usually)
    only downside to a bed is she won't stay in it for a nap, so we use her pushchair in the dining room for nap time.
  • forgot to say, it didn't take her long to realise that she could get back in bed once she'd fallen out. she doesn't fall out often though.
    only thing i worry about is if she's cold, cos she kicks covers off, so i put her in a fleecy sleepsuit and in winter i add a vest.
  • milie went in her a few weeks ago neally 16 months, she started to fall out at first so i bought the gro bag first duvet bed cover, its fantactic the bottom sheet and duvet and the pillow is all attached together so baby cant fall out and hurt her self, since i have put millie in this she has slept fine, here is the link

http://www.grobag.com/firstduvet.aspx
  • hi ya ive looked at the duvet idea it looks really good but i worry he will slip down und not get back up . we did try tyler in his bed couple of days ago but he screamed and sat up i jusat couldnt leave so i put him in his cot again not sure how to settle him in it really
  • Ive had David in his bed since he was about 14-15months hes now 18, im 34 weeks pregnant with no.2 we bought bunk beds, but its the ones that you can also put in to to single beds so we just asembles the top one as it has the bars (obv cause its the top bunk so u dont fall out) to help him stay in, its also quite high so he cant climb in and out, he loves it, i just put him in it straight away, he thought it was a trampoline to begin with sometimes still does that i have to pin him to the bed and tuck the covers in lol

xlisax
  • We have Holly in a cotbed at the minute so when she's older, we just have to take the sides off and it's a miniature bed. Hopefully she'll be fine as it'll be what's she's used to sleeping in and with her usual bedding. Fingers crossed it will make the transition a little bit easier for all of us! :\)
  • We have a cotdbed too,and at first i planed on taking the sides off,so that she gets used to it when the baby comes,but now i'm not so sure,i think she'll never fall asleep because she's alwyas so busy,busy busy!
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/2;10729;116/st/20070810/n/My+little+girl/dt/7/k/38bb/age.png

http://bd.lilypie.com/EwYzp1/.png