Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

When did your lo drop their daytime nap?

Hi there, my 21 month old who has always slept very well from 7pm to between 7-8.30 has just turned into a nightmare sleeper. She will sing to herself for up an hour after I put her down and has started waking at 5.30. I can only think that she needs to reduce her normal lunchtime sleep of 2 hours to 1.

Am I doing this too early? When will she drop her nap altogether?

Lisa. x
21+1

Replies

• Hi, my lo is 26 months and most days still has an after lunch nap (about 1.5 hrs).
    It was about 2-3 months ago that he started being a bit fussy about going for his nap. Sometimes he'd go straight off to sleep but sometimes he'd sit chatting to himself for half an hour or so and I end up bringing him downstairs.
    Every time I think about stopping his nap he then sleeps for a cople of hours every afternoon for a while. lol
    He is a good sleeper at night wether he has a nap or not. Usually 7.30-8pm til 7-7.30am.
    Let me know how you get on.

Vic xx
  • hiya my lo is 17months and has stopped napping all by herself for the mst part. if i pt her to bed now she just gets p and plays for an hour before eventualy falling asleep so i tend not to bother putting her to bed in the afternoon now. instead she will go to bed at about half 5 and get up at 7:30.

i wouldnt rush it, i would take your lead from lo, image
  • Hi, i agree with Shellyw, take your lead from them.

My 3 year old still had nap for 1-2 hours up until he turned 3. Some days he wouldnt sleep and i would try and keep him up the next day but he would be a nightmare. I have gradually cut it. Rather than cutting the time,down from an hour or so, ive cut the amount of days he had a nap. Started really by him being at nursery some days, but if he missed 2 or 3 days i just put him down the other days,

Go with the flow and dont rush it. Dont be afraid to try out a few alternatives.
    Good luck

Gemm x
  • Yeah my dd stopd nappin all by herself at 21mons n realisd wen she had a nap in the afternoon n wen to bed at 8pm she,l be up by 5.30 n sometimes earlier so gave up on the naps n concentrated on sleep times
    Although there r times wen she'll nap in the afternoon I still let her, so I allow her take d lead. She,s 25mons now I make her walk or scoot short distances n these days she enjoys her naps.
    I guess sum kids need more sleep than others so would advise to take her lead as well.
  • My LO is almost 19 months and she doesnt nap for long in the day but wakes ujp early- i just had to add 2 say - I MISS THE TWO NAPS IN THE DAY!!!!!!! i could get so much done and still sleep at night and some mornings even have a lie-in! not much chance of that now without a babysitter lol!
  • brooke is the same. she used to sleep for 2 hours in the day after lunch 12-2 ish. sometimes a bit less. and she slept through 7-8am. at weekends when hubby is off or if we are out and about she will go with out it or just catnap when she can.
    BUT since the snow when hubby was off alot she stopped her naps and now she wont have them again its horrible she is shattered and cranky all the time going to bed at 7 taking ages to go to sleep coz she is over tired and then waking loads in the night and getting up at 630/7 at the latest.

i am going to take her out in the buggy this afternoon and not stop walking till she is asleep. she isnt ready to cut out her nap yet. maybe cut it down but not out!!
    xx