Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

What else can I give her?

My dd (2yrs) has a dry cough. It doesnt seem to affect (?sp) her during the day, but it does when shes asleep.

In her cot I have put a pillow under her mattress to raise her head so she is raised to help with her cough. I have put vicks rub on her chest to help her breathing, although its not exact;y a chesty cough yet. She did have a warm milk drink before bed as I thought the warmth might soothe her throat.

Is there anything I can give that will help. I know you can buy things over the counter, but do they actually help?

Thanks, x

Replies

• Options
    From what I know (which isn't much lol) doctors aren't keen on young children and babies having cough medicines and will only recommend a linctus which you can make yourself at home in the form of a warm water, honey and lemon drink.

I also think, though again may be wrong, that dairy can make coughs worse so might be best avoided.

Oscar's in the same boat but his cough's becoming chesty now. We've had a nightmare with it as the docs thought it was bronchitis and gave him amoxicillin which he turned out to be allergic too so he's now covered in a rash and still coughing like a trooper, unfortunately. Hopefully both our babies will be better soon image xx
  • Options
    my ds had a really bad cough for a good few weeks,we tried loads before we resorted to cough medicine but it id help,the only stuff a pharmacy will give you is tixylix,cant remember its exact spelling but it really did help him and within 3 days it had really cleared,as far as i can remember its just glucose thats in it but it must coat the throat somehow,always worth a try when other things dont work i think
    hth x
  • Options
    pop a bowl of water in her room too, esp if its a dry cough. this will just add some moisture to the air so she won't dry out as much and should help her chest

xx
  • Options
    I ve heard good things about tixylix, so you could try that, but I would also suggest a humidifier in the room. Now when the weather is drier and warmer the rooms might get increasilgly dry? I know that is a no no for me, really irritates my throat ...
  • Options
    Have you tried sitting in a steamy bathroom close the door & have shower on hot & full might help loosen the cough,Hope she stops coughing xo
  • Options
    Archie is terrible for coughs and has one almost all the time. As soon as he gets any kind of cold it goes straight for his chest.

I put a humidifier in his room, a vapouriser and give him a wee drop of cough medicine (just glucose syrup mainly) All things combined seem to make a wee bit of a difference.

After months of having a persistant cough, mainly at night and in morning, we have eventually (after dozens of Dr's apt and chest xrays) had asthma diagnosed. Finally he seems to be getting a better nights sleep. Normally I have to go and hold him upright for 20mins or so to help his breathing but not for last 3 nights. Result !

Hope she's feeling better. S x
  • Options
    I'd suggest getting your lo checked out in case she's a bit asthmatic. My lo was the same with coughing at night for ages last year - it started to improve over summer then got worse again and the doc diagnosed asthma and we were given an inhaler which helped a lot.

Another thing that you could try in case she is a bit asthmatic is take as many soft toys out of her room as possible & any that she likes to keep with her should be washed and then stuck in the freezer for a while to kill off dustmites. We saw the asthma nurse with my son and she said that often people put loads of soft toys on shelves above kids beds and that can irritate asthma too as dust/dust mites collect even if you clean often and then as the child is asleep they get covered in bits of dust. Didn't half make me feel like I had a dirty house when she said that lol! We removed all the soft toys from over his bed and it did help!

hth
  • Options
    I'd suggest getting your lo checked out in case she's a bit asthmatic. My lo was the same with coughing at night for ages last year - it started to improve over summer then got worse again and the doc diagnosed asthma and we were given an inhaler which helped a lot.

Another thing that you could try in case she is a bit asthmatic is take as many soft toys out of her room as possible & any that she likes to keep with her should be washed and then stuck in the freezer for a while to kill off dustmites. We saw the asthma nurse with my son and she said that often people put loads of soft toys on shelves above kids beds and that can irritate asthma too as dust/dust mites collect even if you clean often and then as the child is asleep they get covered in bits of dust. Didn't half make me feel like I had a dirty house when she said that lol! We removed all the soft toys from over his bed and it did help!

hth
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies.

I only started a couple of days ago so i think its more of a cough as it sound more catarrah (?sp) on the chest.
    She doesnt ahve the other symptoms of asthma like wheeze and its not a persistant cough.
    I was diagnoised last yr with asthma and my hubby examined me before diagnoising me with asthma and a trip up a+e. I had a cold at the time and we think it was to do with the pillows at my mums.
    My dd doesnt appear to have other problems with breathing or anything, but something to consider if it lasts a while.

kia - thanks for the point on soft. Only recently we have soft toys in her bed to keep her amused first thing. She is attached to her toy dwarfs and she has one she cuddles in her cot and car seat. That could possibly explain why it affects her more in those places. I was trying to see if I could wash them, maybe i will ahve to be brave and put them on a low setting.