Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Toddlers using cutlery - what age?

Hi everyone, my son is now 15 months old.
For the past couple of months I have left him to feed himself, which is fine if its solid and he is able to pick it up with his fingers! (It is very amusing to watch him try and eat ready brek with his fingers!) I have always given him his own spoon / fork to use but he still hasnt got the hang of using them.
Is this normal? What age did you little ones start using cutlery?

Thanks for you help
Jodie

Replies

• Millie is coming up to 18 months and still hasn't really got the hang of cutlery. She occasionally manages to spear something on her fork and she is getting better at things like porridge with a spoon but it is still very hit and miss. Her cousin is 14 months old and can get most things in with a spoon now so I guess this is just another area where they all do it at their own time.
  • my son Ayden is 20 months and using his spoon to eat breakfast and then ociasionally or if he feels like it he will use his fork for lunch or dinner , i have started when he was around 12 months as he hated me feeding him by then he would get really stroppy if i even attempted to put someting in his mouth , he eats with his fingers a lot too but there is always cuttlery on the table
  • i was wondering this too, mine is 12 months and wasn't sure when to buy some baby cutlery, should i get them now?
    he loves trying to eat his brothers food with a fork (lol!)
    i'm sure it's fine for him not have the hang of it yet though jodieimage
    it all sounds v.messy to me!
  • Mumto2 it wouldnt hurt to give your L.O cutlery even if its just a plastic weaning spoon if your worried the metal ones may be to hard. Thats what I did to start with till he got used to holding them. Now he just likes bashing the metal cutlery on his tray to make lots of noise and mess!
  • yeah he likes to have a go with his weaning spoons, just couldn't remember when to move on iykwim? any advice on keeping the cutlery on the table and off the floor? (re: how to teach 1yr old post)
  • Ashton used to throw the cutlery but in all honesty he has only done it a few times. When he purposely throws things on the floor - thats where they stay! Becuase otherwise it just becomes a game and they will eventually learn if they throw it on the floor they wont get it back.
    With regards to turning the telly off I thought that was a problem with just my son! ha ha glad to hear its not. He knows its naughty now and stands there with his hand on the button but we ask him nicely to move away on most occasions he does but if he is being stubborn and wont we pick him up move him away and say no sternly. Its worked - it took a while but we got there!
  • My 18 mnth old daughter feeds herself aswel as me doing it. she likes to take it in turns and generally finishes all her meals
  • Hi there! i gave both my 2 a plastic set of cutlery set to play with when they bout 15months, and they got the hang ov it, by watching me and their daddy!, But i suppose every child is different,
    Adele xxx
  • Guess what? Ashton used his spoon yesterday morning by himself to eat his breakfast! I was so proud - felt a little silly for feeling that way! Ha ha.Thank you everyone for your responses! It can be re-assuring but how typical upon my asking he does it! Will that work when it comes to potty training I wonder!! ha ha
  • aww, clever boy ashton!
    maybe once mine figures out how to get his spoon in his mouth it won't end up on the floor! image
  • my lo is now 16 months and has been feeding herself with a spoon and fork (and a little help) since around 13months.
    Basically I just let her get on with it and try to offer the odd spoon/forkful, but most of the time she just wants to do it herself.
    They soon get the hang of it, or use fingers, when they are hungry!