Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Potty training advice please!

My advice would be to just leave it for now you say he's two but how many months? I tried potty training Tate too young after xmas as was under pressure from friends and family but I have now decided he is too young to know when he needs a wee. He can tell you he's done one but doesnt know when he's going too. He got really upset when he wet his pants and after four changes in half an hour I decided to forget it. I may try again in a couple of months in the warmer weather!

Replies

• Hi ya
    Like nicola says he it still oung and boys are often slower at this than girls,i started riley at 2 and it was to young for him so i left it,then when riley was coming up for his 3rd birthday he just started going alone,he'd ask for the potty most times.
    Im sure if you have a potty about he will get comfortable with it in time and suprise you.
  • I think thats what I will do with the warmer weather coming. I think it is easier when they are closer to three than two they are alot more grown up by then and have a better understanding of things.
  • Hi Wanderer, sorry don't know your name! My son turned three on Aug 28th last year and I didn't start to potty train him until the week after his birthday. I did face some criticism from inside the family for leaving it so late, but it paid off. I used the Gina Ford book and followed it pretty much to the letter for the first few days and within three days Bon was dry in the day. It has taken longer for him to be clean as well, but leaving it until he was able to understand made all the difference. It also made a difference using a structured approach as per the Gina Ford book. Leaving his nappy off and a potty within reach didn't work for us. He still isn't dry through the night but it is coming. One in every five or so nappies are dry so we are getting there if slowly, but there is no rush and I refuse to rush him.

Rewards have helped immensely with gettign him clean, we put toys on the bathroom cabinet so he could see them and knew he'd get one if he pooed in the potty. I am now overrun with 'Ben 10' toys but it is worth it!

They all get there and I think the main thing is to not get upset about it. The feeling transfers itself to them and reinforces negatives about the potty. Relax, leave it a bit, read around the subject to reassure yourself and try again later, maybe with a reward scheme in place if that works for your son. Good luck.
  • Thats reassuring to read Nicolette, I met my friend the other day with her little boy he has just turned two. She knows im not potty training Tate yet, so made a huge thing that Oscar is doing so well with potty training. She must have asked him 20 times in the space of 10mins if he needed a 'wee wee' poor little man!! I don't think he's doing well as such I just dont think he has the opportunity to have an accident!!!

I also wondered if those of you with boys if any of you went straight to use the toilet? Tate doesn't like his potty we have two and they both seem a bit small for him. He always has a wee in the bath but stands up to do it! I think it is because he is copying his dad and brother maybe!! Tom was v.slow in standing to use the loo, im just wondering whether the right way is to let tate try and stand on a step and use the big toilet? Any advice thanks!
  • The latest edition of PP has a potty training special section!!!!
  • I don't think i've read it yet Caroline, i've been too busy on here!!!
  • It's in June's copy! Mine arrived this morning so anyone who buys it over the counter won't be able to read it till the 5th of May (usually out on the 4th or 5th)
  • they're prob trying to make up for the 'double subscription fiasco'!!! who's WUOTM????
  • Not telling you!!!!! It's a secret!!!
  • Hi Nicola, i am mandy. I was just wondering if you could tell me how to get the glitter text on your profile. I have been trying to with no luck thanks.
  • Hi Nicola. What has stopped us from using the toilet more often has been a combination of Bon being small for his age and our toilets being taller than average so he just can't reach them. He uses toilets at nursery and other people's houses so it is just a matter of time for him to grow a bit taller.
  • Have you thought about a little set of steps he could use,they do a thing that colapses,jml sell it.
  • Hi wonderer. sorry only just spotted this post!!

The others have given you great advice but i just wanted to add to their experiences. Ethan turned 3 in march and only became dry in Feb after 8 monhts of trying!!!! Admitedly i never stressed too much about it or did it very intensely i let him take it at his own pace and in the end he sort of did it on his own and everything just clicked!
    I think boys are generally later and it's much easier if you let them do it when they're ready. Try to ignore the pressure from others, i wish i had!
    xxx