Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Newbie - Help with Constipation?

I know it may sound really strange but Malt loaf really worked for my 19 month old son as does making sure they drink plenty of fluid helps stop it hardening according to the docs. Hope that helps

Replies

• Hi there!

I used to put a small amount of prune juice in boiled water for Charlotte along with some apple and blackcurrant juice to disguise the taste. That helped to keep her regular until her diet improved. Also diluted fresh orange helps.

Try making hidden vegetable sauces to get the vitamins etc inside your little one. Just ask if you need more info.

Zoe xx
  • hi, welcome to pp! Have you tried fruit puree? Or fruit smoothies? She could have the puree on some yogurt or even as a dip on ice cream etc. Veg hidden in sauces is always a good idea too. I think they do get quite distressed and really hold on so lots of reassurance will help especially if she's found it painful in the past.

Whats your name and your little girls and where are you living if abroad?? Sorry im so nosey!!
  • Hi there
    Think this is comman in most tots and i agree with Zoe,i also gave diluted fresh orange juice and it worked for us.
  • two bottles of milk is not that much, Tate has one 7oz when he wakes and a small bottle at bedtime but doesn't always finish it. do you manage to eat together with no distractions? I find it hard as our living area is open plan and no table in the kitchen so tate is always getting down because he sees something he wants. nightmare!
  • Whats she like with finger foods.
    The weather is a factor as we are the same and dont wanna eat in the heat,rather drin and eat cold food.

RIley was a good eater and would at anything you gave him till about a yr and has been a fussy eater ever since.
    At the mo his not eating much at all,but thats prob coz his getting over the sick bug.

Hope you find something she will happily eat other than chips(another riley fave).

Emma.
    xx
  • I had lactulose while pregnant and after my c section to help me go it should help but may take about 48 hours. Poor might hope it all clears soon
  • hope it works, take her out for a walk maybe some different surroundings might distract her. Also forgot to ask is she in nappies or potty training? As this may have an affect too.

Tate was given lactulose as a baby. Good luck hun...theres always somewhere on here to chat to!
  • love the ticker..sorry whats your name? Its nearly Poppy's birthday then how lovely!!
  • Hi,

I have no advice for you sorry as i dont really know much about constipation and the girls have said it all.
    But welcome to pp, and i will look forward to chatting to you. My name is Karen and i am mami to Hollie. xx
  • Hi

Welcome to PP!!
    Can't really offer you any other advice, hope things get moving soon!!

Anyway, just wanted to say hello.
  • hi my little sister gets really bad constipation and has been on lactulose on and off for about 4 years. the nurse that comes to see millie said to try brown sugar and water 1 part sugar 10 water and it worked for millie when she couldnt go and i think it must have tasted good cos it was gone in seconds, and hi im paula x x
  • lactulose is a sugar solution and is natural so wont do any harm at all, the brown sugar and water worked with isaac 2