Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

how strict are you?

i came off the pill about 4 weeks ago and we're ttc (although not fanatically at the moment, just having fun and waiting to see what happens ;\))

i know that theres a lot of things you should and shouldnt do when your pregant, but if it takes a year to conceive does that mean you cant have a drink for a year, or take hayfever tablets...or eat liver (uggh!)

but do you know what i mean? should i be acting like i am pregant and being careful with all these things...even if im not? id be gutted if i was pregant and didnt know and took something which effected my baby......

does that make any sense? i usually an intellegent human but you know this whole baby thing blows my mind....i cant belive how little i actually know!

:\?:\?:\?

Replies

• Options
    We have also only just started ttc so at the moment I am being quite strict as I would not want to hurt my baby in any way and if I don't get the classic symptoms as I have not had a regular period for 12 years I may not know I am pregnant. So I am taking pregnare tablets and have not had a drink for two months and do avoid the various cheeses, pate etc but i went to lunch with a friend who is pregnant and she ate a brie sandwich!! No-one knows we are ttc so I didn't say anything. I think if in a year I am still not pregnant I may need a very big drink!! XX
  • Options
    hello ladies
    i have also just started to concive and have to say that am not being v.strict on myself! I realy dont think the odd bottle of beer/glass of wine or mayo in a sandwich willaffect things right now. although i have to say that i have knocked hayfever tablets on the head.

emmab1xxxx
  • Options
    Hi, I would say just use common sense and anything that could be bad only do in moderation. I stopped drinking alcohol as soon as we started ttc as it can improve you chances of conceiving anyway. Was also just extra careful that food was cooked properly and that I didn't eat anything likely to cause me problems! I also cut out using any kind of painkillers etc as I read somewhere that a large number of women miscarry early because they get what feel like period cramps and take painkillers. Not sure how true that is but didn't think it was such a big thing to give up. Mayonaise from a jar is ok its only if its freshly made.

I managed to concieve the first month of trying so we were very lucky - but it just goes to show you never know!!
    Just try to keep things in perspective, some women fall pregnant by accident so behave as normal drinking etc until they find out and go on to have healthy babies. Just look after yourself and make sure you are healthy and that way you have a higher chance of conceiving and having a healthy baby. Good luck! xx
  • Options
    Hi I have been wondering about this... I have tryed to stop taking my hayfever tablets but I cannot cope without them at the moment by hayfever is way to bad. What harm would I be doing. Also if anyone could advise on what foods I shouldn't be eating would be great.

Thanks
    Xx
  • Options
    i am not taking hayfever tablets at the moment as im ttc , i would see your gp about what you can use as most are not suitable when your pg.my hayfever is a bitch at the moment so i am using vaseline up the nose and walking around sniffing olbas oil ( weird i know but it works)
    love leighxxx
  • Options
    Ooo, I've been wondering too. I totally forgot myself 2 days ago, had a cystitis attack and bought some of those satchets to 'relieve the burn'. Now panicking as TTC!
  • Options
    I've been wondering (and slightly worrying) about this too!

I've pretty much stopped drinking, but have decided that I can have a good few every time AF shows up!! LOL

In addition, I've always been a bit (i.e. a lot) of a fussy eater, so my priority has been to improve my diet - both for my own health and (hopefully) in preparation for when I have more than just me to consider! I still won't eat brussel sprouts though!
  • Options
    OK, looks like a trip to the Doc's for me then, I haven't stopped drinking though neither although I'm not a heavy drinker but I do like a night out at the weekend... Should I stop??? What foods should I avoid???

• Options
    hi were ttc and iv not been very strick but i dont drink any way and im taking folic acid tablets and i take hay fever tablets pescribed by doctor and he says that they are fine to take while im ttc because i was worried about that aswell
  • Options
    Foods to avoid: Liver (gross!) & Pate because of Vitamin A, cheese like Brie and Stilton, undercooked meats, running eggs (salmonella risk), and new advice is not to drink any alcohol and cut cigarettes, also limit caffine to about 3 cups of coffee.......But all this advice changes all the time, my Nanna was told to take up smoking to relax her and my Mum pretty much ate and drank what she liked although she did go off the taste of alcohol. I think the main thing is if you got pregnant and did miscarry would you think it was natures way (stupid saying!!!) or would you always feel guilty that you did something wrong? God I'm depressing myself now - theres just too much info out there for us to access now and these sites and the magazines are just soooo addictive. XXX
  • Options
    yep im with you on that one summerlove!!!
    fell preggers after a few coctails with my o/h in greece while on the pill!! with my 1st and didnt change my lifestyle amensly, now im ttc for the 2nd and I cant stop browsing websites reading mags and watching the programs. although its good to know i do think it is alot easier if you dont.

Emmab1