Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Delayed periods after taking the combined Pill? Or not?

2»

Replies

• Now?! Wow, that's a long time away. image OK, anyone suggest a good alternative, I haven't really been told about any of this, my parents are religious and want to give me no help there at all, and my doctor seemed surprisingly unhelpful - injections or something?
  • starting early - you could try a coil; it can be removed when you want to concieve. I think injections have the same hormones in as the Pill.

If you can't talk to your doctor, do try a family planning clinic - they can fit you with the cap/diaphram or a coil, or at least talk you through the alternatives.
  • Thank you image
    I'm just scared I'll wreck my cycle and muck up ovulation and all that malarky.
    Good luck all!
  • Hi there, I'm on day 38 since coming off the pill and no sign of af yet. hmm Had EWCM but not sure if that means it will come soon??
  • Mini - if only we knew! Frustrating, isn't it?
  • i am having same problem. I came off the pill in April and haven't had my first real AF since coming off. I am on day 42 of my cycle. I swear it seems like it will never get here. I have had off and on cramps for the last 2 weeks like she will start but the last few days gives me no hope. My dr a week ago told me to take a pregnacy test and decrease my sodium intake. Test was negative and I eat super healthy so i don't know what to do to get my cycle's to regulate sooner. I would really like to get preggo soon!!! I wish my dr would have told me why i needed to come off the pill 3 months early. I had no idea this would happen. Women need to be prepared better for this. I really hope to get my AF soon so I can feel normal!
  • FitBride - you have my sympathy.

Has you doctor suggested anything else? Or when to go back?
  • Ive had 5 children and each time ive come off the pill my periods have retuned as normal, ive used the combined pill and mini pill. xx
  • Thanks DebbieMc - that's helpful to know.

Now, if only you could share the secret of how you've done it...!
  • Flush30 - excellent idea for an article. I and my BF have been together for nearly 9 years and getting married next year. We decided I should come off the pill now as things seem to possibly take time getting back to normal (gleaned from forums like this, not my doc). I've been on the pill for 15 years, since I was 16 (now 31) (first Norimin then Ovysmen). Even though I remember my periods being long and painful I've been counting the days and I'm at 33 with nothing yet.

I've been worried about side effects, but don't seem to have any other than being a bit more sensitive and emotional than usual recently. Had a bit of cramp a week ago and thought my period was imminent, but that seems to have passed.

We specifically went our doc to talk about coming off the pill and planning for a baby, but our session lasted all of 3 minutes, and the only advise we left with was to start taking folic acid. Nothing about length of time before things get back to normal or when I should go back.

Thank goodness for you lot!
  • LucyG - thank you!

Can't believe your doc didn't tell you about the possible delay but well done for getting sorted so quickly. And good luck with the wedding!
  • Just an update for anyone following this thread: I looked at the information leaflet for the pill I'd be taking and no mention of this delay.

I am now begging and borrowing leaflets from as many different pills as possible to see what they say too.

By the way, Mercilon (my old pill) stressed all the time that one missed pill could mean ovulation... yeah, right, thanks manufacturers. Great advice...!
  • ha ha! yeah, what a load of tosh! I was on a tri-phasic pill called Triadene. I'm pretty sure it didn't say anything about a delay in periods when coming off it, but I'll check it tonight (even though I should have burned the blinking left overs by now in protest!!)
  • Thank you - would be interested to know!
  • I came off Microgynon 30 in March after being on it for 9 years. I ovulated on cd 35 and got bfp 14 days later.
    Sadly I have just mc'd but at least it shows that some people can do it straight away (BTW, I took Agnus Castus from about cd 10 so don't know if that helped)
  • Thanks Baby B - and so sorry to hear about your mc. I hope you're doing okay. x
  • I came off pill in november & still not regulated yet with 38 days, 27 days, 44 days, 38 days and currently on day 49 and nothing. Spoke to GP when planning to come off pill & they didn't warn me it would take a while to get back to a normal cycle & its been very frustrating as was expecting things just to happen. Would be interested to read your article
  • Thanks Emelhea - still trying to get it commissioned! But your experience sounds so frustrating and i hope it settles soon.