Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Does/Did Anyone Else Feel 'Ignorant'?

Hi, All!

Just wondering whether I'm on my own in feeling this way. I'm now 36 and, to be honest, spent a lot of my adult life without much interest in starting a family (I guess the maternal instinct was just a bit latent!). However, recently, myself and my fiance have decided that we want to start a family. The broodiness has kicked in big time over the past few months, for both of us!

So, I've had a look at a couple of sites and forums etc etc and am shocked (and slightly embarrassed) about just how little I know about this whole 'having a baby' thing (let alone what actually happens to my own body every month).

Am I alone in feeling like a bit of a numpty knowing so little in my 'advanced' years? (please tell me I'm not!).

Oh, and I feel drawn to the forums etc but get terrified that I am 'past it' (though I know it's not that unusual anymore to have the first baby at my age and that I'm not (quite) past it yet!

Hope at least part of that made sense - just kind of random thoughts!

BG

P.S. Hello! I'm quite new to posting, but have been reading with interest - congrats to the BFPs over the past few days!

Replies

• Options
    Hello

You are not alone. I am 31 and never before thought of having babies. When I hit 30 the hormones kicked in and I became a broody monster. Had to bring up baby conversation with boyfriend who had been quite happy thinking we would never have any. He finally agreed, but with many discussions, rows etc.

I started doing some research and was absolutly shocked with how little I knew about my body and the pill (I had been on for about 12 years). When I came off it was like waking up from some num dream. I started a chart on excel noting all changes and I am currently in my second month. First cycle was 29 days and I am currently on day 19 of my second cycle. I found the forums on this site a big help for all my silly questions. There are a number of charts to look at, one I found interestding was at www.fertilityfriend.com

I know I might sound a bit mad but this has been taking over my life. Let me know how you get on.

Kxx;\)
  • Options
    Hi BG!

Welcome to the chat! I totally know where you're coming from. I'm 31 and although I've wanted to be Mum for a couple of years, it only kicked in for my hubby this year.

I feel that we have great knowledge on how NOT to get pregnant but nobody has ever really educated us on doing the right things when we want to become parents. That part of it is sort of left up to us to find out!

It's easy for me to say but do try and not let your age worry you. The golden age of 35 gets mentioned a lot on all these sites and I think it can (undestandably) panic people approaching mid thirties or over 35 for no reason at all.

I've met loads of fab people on this site - hope you enjoy the chat!

Jo x
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies - it's a relief to know I'm not alone!

Thanks for the link, Kat_Bath - I'll certainly be having a look on there!

I was also on the pill for years. It used to be so simple as I was on Trinordial, so had a week off every month and things just took their course!

And thank you, Jo, for the comments about my age. It's strange how 36 didn't feel that old to me (thank god - our brains must just fool us for our own good!) until we decided to ttc. I began looking at sites and making the mistake of reading the 'older mothers' section, and I must admit it made me feel a bit worried. I think I'll stay away from those areas for the moment!

Mark, my OH, is really excited about us ttc as well, and he's learning at the same time as I am, so at least I have his support as well.

It's amazing the amount of information on the net, and I'm pretty grateful for that - the forums are great as well and I've been trawling through old posts for even more info.......it's more like starting another degree than having a bit of fun followed by a baby nine months later!

Oh, and Chibi.....thanks for making me chuckle! "the media make you think you get big and then a baby pops out" was hilarious!!

• Options
    hello B G
    Try not to take in to much info as it can all be quite confussing! and wot works for one might not work for you! but then i always prefer the ignarance is bliss appoach!!!
    and by the way i hear 35 is the new 21!

Emmab1

• Options
    Hey Bank Gal, I'm already preggers but just wanted to say hi and also, I'm a believer in the old theory that if you're not interested in a topic, why would you know all about it?? I always was interested in human biology which is why i was nursing for years and why I almost went on to do midwifery (til kids came along) but theres only 2 of my friends who share my interest. Most people I come across just gloss over it all until theyre ready to take the plunge. Oh and also, 36 is not old to start a family, I'm a member of a surrogacy org (which I aim to do once I've had my final baby) and many on their are well into their 40's and having their 1st babies. Good luck with it all and always feel free to ask if you get stuck on a topic xx
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, emmab1 and FunkyRabbit!

We'd talked about the 'ignorance is bliss' way forward, and liked the idea of it. Then I discovered how much I didn't know and got a little freaked out - after all, I stopped taking the pill and couldn't even remember what date that had been! We had to look through my diary for the date of a work meeting because it was the same week......you probably get much more 'ignorant' than that! :lol:

Congrat's on your pregnancy, FunkyRabbit - hope it's been a 'nice' one so far! I was a little freaked out when I read just how many pregnancy symptoms there are and had nightmares about being sick, constipated and having piles all at the same time. image I;ve taken those pages off bookmarks for the time being!

BG