Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

help

Hello, please can someone help me, we are trying for our first baby, if you have read any of my previous posts, you prob already know that i came off the pill in January and had a period as normal. the didn't have another till end of April and not had another since!!! I'm very upset/anxious about this, have cried a lot this week and i'm starting to think this means there is something wrong with me!!! how do i tell whether i'm fertil? Which is the best way? Should i see my GP? Can a lifestlye change help me? What is a mucus plug?

So many questions so little knowledge i have, can anyone help......please??:\(:cry:

Replies

• Hi, try not to panic too much. As Chibi says it is very common to have a strange cycle for a while when you come off the pill. I would go and see your GP as that will probably reassure you and they can give you good advice.
    Generally when ttc the advice is you should try and eat as healthily as possible, cut down on caffeine and alcohol, start taking folic acid tablets or something like pregnacare. This just makes sure your body has everything it needs to work properly to make the baby and keep you both healthy.

A friend of mine had no periods of 6 months after coming off the pill and was very anxious like you but they did come back to normal.

The mucus plug is just an accumulation of secretions that form within the opening to the uterus. The mucus accumulates early in pregnancy as it serves to create a protective barrier against infection between the outside world and your growing baby.

Best of luck, try and relax as worrying and stressing does not help you to conceive! Let us know how you get on. xxxx
  • Thanks guys,

Got an appointment at the doctors as Lottie101 on here has told me that having an underactive thyroid can mean that you don't ovulate. I didn't know that.

Will let you know how i get on tomorrow night. xx
  • Hi den, I hope everything goes okay at the docs tomorrow. Let us know what they say. xxx
  • Hi guys,

Just thiught i'd drop you all a quick line, i went to the drs last night and he has increased my dose of Levothyroxine, he doesn't seem to think my lack of periods is a major problem. he is unwilling to refer me for test though as i have a BMI of 28!!! he says i am overweight and it should be 25!!! i am absolutely gutted, i knew i had gained a few pounds but i never thought it was that bad!!

My GP has advised that i follow a strict diet and take regular exercise (I already go to the gym twice a week) and if my periods still don't resume, i am to go back in 2 months. in that time he wants me to have lost at LEAST half a stone but i have to go back in 2 months if no period anyway,

Obviously if I don't lose the weight, he will give me another bollocking!!!

I accept i am no twiggy but i certainly didn't think i was obese!!! i am 5ft tall and weigh 10 stone. is that obese?
  • Not it's not and I don't think your BMI is bad either, I think they are making it out LOADS worse than it is!

If it helps, I didn't have periods for 11 years but was still ovulating (work that one out!). I am now 22 weeks pregnant. It was a bit of a slog to get there and I lost 3 stone because I was lots more overweight than you.
    It might be worth seeing another Doctor next time round - at the risk of being sexist I generally found a female doctor to be much more understanding and willing to help (all the male docs I saw were very dismissive of my concerns.)

Just keep having lots of sex and try (haha) to relax about it all, the more wound up you get about it the worse it will make it.

Keep posting!
    Tracey
    xx
  • Mmm, it doesn't sound like he was all that helpful. How do you feel about trying to loose weight? Your weight/height don't sound to me like you are obese! Not that I'm an expert or anything. At least if nothing happens with your periods soon you can go back, you must feel better knowing that you've been pro active in getting the situation sorted. You could have waited another 6 months and still been in the same situation, so that has to be a good thing. And the fact the doctor wasn't too worried is also good news. Once again good luck and let us know how things are going for you. xxx
  • I do feel betteryest, How hard can it be to lose a couple of pounds. I think i will see the same Dr next time because he wasn't horrible really, maybe he told me a couple of home truths and i didn't like it. I can only try I suppose.

Thanks for all your help advice & support guys. xx