Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Question???

Hi girls, just wanted your opinions...as you all know we really want a baby!! Here's the dilema..I'm Canadian (british hubby) and we are supposed to be going to my friends wedding in october...don't want to wait to ttc but don't want to miss her wedding either. I know you can fly while pg but still worry. Have heard of people going into labour after flying, but also heard most of the time it's fine. What do you all think? Also if we wait will have to wait another year as my sisters wedding is july 2008. Thanks!! xxx

Replies

• i heard its not good to fly when ur very early in ur pregnancy or very late but i dont know if that tru its jus what iv been told. hope this helps***
  • Thanks. I think I'm going to ask my gp what he thinks. My mums a nurse and she said the 2nd trimester is ok...so we'll see. I don't wanna wait!!! xxx
  • ur mum would know more. but thats what i thought, not too early or too late. 2nd trimester is everythin inbetween!***
  • Not sure about early pg but some airlines wont let you fly after 28 weeks unless absolutely necessary and you have a doctors note.
  • Just read above and am a little worried as we are ttc but are going away in May this year. If i conveive before we go away then obviously i'll be in my 1st trimester should i worry? I'm not nervouse of flying or anything, does anyone know whast the science is on this?
  • Hi ladies, I've read that DVT on flights is more of a risk when pregnant. I also read of some concerns about flying early in pregnancy. These are links i've found useful.
    I'm not sure whether to book a holiday for the summer or not. I feel as though i shouldn't be putting our lives on hold for ttc.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/parenting/q_and_a/flyingpreg2.shtml
    http://www.flighthealth.org/pregnancy.htm
    http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/isitsafeto/flyexpert/
    Hope this helps but i guess it#s best to take advice from your gp if worried. Good luck to all x
  • i think you would be ok. My advice is not to put life on hold until everything confirmed......am I being thick or does ttc mean trying to conceive and therefore you are not pregnant yet?
  • No i'm not pregnant yet, just totally obsessed with ttc!!! I'm trying not to put my life on hold but when i plan something for the future i can't help but wonder if i'll be pregnant or not! Sad eh?!
  • Hi
    Not sad at all. Everyone says just relax but it is so hard to do so. I say just act as though not going to be pregnant then so a bonus if you are. I was 2 weeks preg (see other post) and for 24 hrs was so excited thinking names, clothing etc and then found out went away (chemical pregnancy) that i am trying really hard not to put life on hold.
  • Hi all, thanks for your replies, I'm gonna look into flying more. Will let you know what I find out!! I really want a baby NOW!! But I can't miss either of those weddings (esp my sisters)...
  • Hi girls, I've searched the internet and what I've come up with is this: the 'best' time to fly is 14-26 weeks in, if you have a 'normal' pregnancy with no complications ie. high blood pressure, gestational diabetes etc. I read a study about flight attendants and it said there was slightly higher occurance of m/c and preterm labour, but these ladies flew an average of 74 hours per month!! I don't think any of us want to fly that long!!! Also there is a higher risk of DVT, but is reccomended that you walk around 15 min per hour you fly. Also see your Dr, or MW before you go to make sure you are ok. Hope that helps anyone planning a trip. xxxx
  • Hi

I had to fly the day after I found out I was pregnant at 5 weeks for a business trip. I am now 26 weeks pregnant and everything is fine with the baby.