Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

am i the oldest ttc?

I just wanted to see if I was the oldest on here as am 35, 36 in Sept and trying 4 first baby as got married in Feb. I just hope it happens. My friend Ange, who leaves work tom on maternity leave is having her 1st and is a few years older than me, so she has given me hope! The only thing that worries me is i had a mc 10 years ago, don't know if that will affect me trying again.

Replies

• Options
    don't give up hope - crikey, thats not old. Don't want to be really patronising, as you probably already know this, but have lots of sex before you ovulate - sperm lives longer than eggs, and look out for your mucus plug. I am always going on about it, and was trying for ages before a good friend of mine said to do this - good luck xxx by the way i'm 33 xxx
  • Options
    hi im 34 and ttc no5, god 35 is not old at all my friend laura is 14 wks pg with no3 and shes 39 (not that 39 is old) . hi new and improved claire if i had sex sunday monday and tuesday and ov wednesday what do you think my chances are? when should you see ur plug?

love leighxxx
  • Options
    do it!! You see your plug around ovulation, so get cracking. I was unaware of it before, but once I knew what i was looking for, I fell both times. good luck.
  • Options
    i think it was there this morning and i had a shag last night would that work? you will have to excuse me being all lame i have the flu and feel like shite all this sex isent helping lol
  • Options
    oh yeah - thats good then. If you feel up to it do it again today aswell. I know what you mean though when your feeling crap - having a shag is the last thing on your mind!!
  • Options
    will have another go tonight when brats are in bed and thats my lot i am going to sleep all weekend and let him look after the kids! whats happening with you at the moment claire?
  • Options
    Hi, You are not too old! Friends of mine have had babies in their 40's. I am nearly 36, just found out I am pg for 2nd time. I had a m/c in Feb so fingers crossed this one decides to stick! GOOD LUCK TTC!!! It can take time (I have been ttc for 1 year now) but I am sure eventually it will happen, for some sooner than they think! George, x
  • Options
    I'm now 24 weeks, although I prefer to say - six months, can't believe it. Don't feel ill, just don't feel right. I'm desperate for a massive bump that I can scratch and rub, but I've still got what looks like flab - no actually, that is flab. I like the sound of your weekend, my bloody husband has arranged for us to go out on saturday night. I was so pissed off, I thought being pregnant would mean that I got all my own way and didn't ever have to do anyting I didn't want. I want to go to bed at 9 and watch CSI, and not talk about the latest mercedes M-class. I'd rather drink bleach!!
  • Options
    i want to spend the whole weekend eating fruit and nut and watching 24 and lost and only being disturbed with the odd cup of tea.
    i am looking forward to having a bump to rub though im sure i wont be saying that when it happens as i normally end up the size of a small country!
  • Options
    My OH and I are both 36 and have just decided to start TTC. I'm really excited at the prospect, but have had the odd thought about being ever so slightly, er, old?

However, I never wanted children when I was younger (even a couple of years ago, it was about the furthest thing from my mind) and am a little shocked by just how strong my feelings are. I do feel, though, that now is 'right' for me and that it's a good time for us to be planning for parenthood.

Good luck, ljackson - I hope we both have good news to share soon! :\)
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Good to know me and my husband are not decrepit at 34!! We got married in April and I'm taking Folic Acid tablets.
    Thanks for all the good advice, hope you have some positive news soon.

Nessy
  • Options
    LMAO! ljackson, i have to be the oldest trying to conceive by a mile! I am 46!!!!! i fell pregnant last September aged 45 and sadly miscarried in October so there's def hope for all of you youngsters!!!! he he he. I know that i am definitley old but i dont care! I have already got a ten year old who i conceived when i was 34 and that was my first. GEORGE!!!!!!!!! i have been off the boards a while and now see that you are pg!!!! many congratulations. You are a lovely person and so deserve it image Claire21, cant believe you are 6 months already, where has that time gone???? Good luck to all and if there is anyone older than me on here i will be amazed! BTW my colleague had her first a year ago and she was 44! lots of love, bluebird xxxx
  • Options
    Hi Bluebird,
    I forgot to mention, my Mum was 46 when she had me (I was premature and 2 lbs 11 oz; I've made up for it since!) Best of luck TTC.

Nessy
  • Options
    thanks for all your replies, am not alone then - I don't feel an oldie now - good luck everyone for this month TTC. I ovulate over the BH weekend, so can't wait!

Luv Lori xx
  • Options
    Ha, ha....love your positive "I don't care" attitude Bluebird! Good stuff.

Clare21 - sorry to be naive but what's a mucus plug? Be as detailed as you like (sorry everyone else!) Love your username btw 8\)

LJackson - good luck! Age paranoia is horrible isn't it? Good timing that you ovulate over the BH wknd. My hubby is in London Monday to Friday for big chunks of this year. Great!

I'm 31, no children and I've just miscarried my first pg. Will start ttc again after AF has visited.

Jo x
  • Options
    hey - you're definitely not too old - I'm 43 and I have sleeping peacefully (ish) downstairs my first baby, 5 week old Finn - it took us nearly six years of trying but a major road accident where I was on crutches for 3 of those years may have got in the way of our efforts - AND despite all the scaremongering - it was a delightful pregnancy I didn't have a cold the whole 9 months, only slight nausea and all other pregnancy symptoms were mild - and the birth was 'normal' - I won't lie and say pain free but not bad enough to put me off trying again.
  • Options
    Mucus plug is this sort of clear discharge that you get around ovulation. Once you have it - get cracking, cos thats the best time. This sounds awful but you don't feel anything, but its clear and you just have a "wet" feeling - sorry to be so graphic, and you will probably only notice it when you go for a wee and wipe yourself . good luck xx

And Ges, congratulations to you on baby Finn. and good luck trying again. xxx
  • Options
    Thanks Claire. Graphic is good at the mo - all help is much appreciated! I've bought ovulation tests too to check LH levels. Probably a bit OTT from the outstart but I would like it to happen quickly (don't we all!!!!)

Ges - congrats from me too on little Finn. Wow you've had a diffiult time getting there. Absolutely adore his name too x
  • Options
    Hi i'm 38.5 and ttc 1st and my oh is 40 in December. I have been told by both my GP and consultant that i'm not too old. I did get pg on 1st month of ttc but lost it at Christmas. Been ttc again since Feb but no luck yet.
    Keep at it girls
    Karen
  • Options
    Jo - I know the feeling about OH being away Mon-Fri - mine is away too but up in Bury. Hopefully it is only for a few more months and he'll be back permanently. He had to go away the week we got back from honeymoon in Feb. It has gone quick so am not complaining, Absence makes the heart grow fonder but harder to conceive!

Ges - congrats too - you are an inspiration to us all. Love the name Finn too !

Lori xxx