Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Need a bit of advice

Hi all, I just wondered if anyone could offer any advice or have been in the same position (i'm sure some of you have!). We've been trying for a baby since January and last month I was 4 days late. Never ever been a day late in the past. I did a test every day after my missed day and every one was neg and then on day 5 I came on - gutted! My cycle is always reg at 28/29 days but this month cos of my late period my ovulation date will be much later (cos I will have had a 35 day cycle). Normally for a 28/29 day cycle your ovulation day is around day 14 (i'm now on day 17). I've been doing the ovulation tests since day 14 (Sat) just to be sure and there's still no sign of LH, so i'll keep doing them til they run out on Friday. The point i'm getting at is I always seem to get my days wrong (or maybe thats my excuse for not getting pregnant!) so when would you suggest having sex? I'm assuming now until Friday (which will be day 21) i'm asking because these ovulation tests are costing me a fortune and I want to try and work it out without using them every month but its proving difficult when my days are all over the show! Also, if my LH said today for example how long do we try for ?
I'm beginning get annoyed by the whole thing which won't help but its so hard and i'm sure there are many of you who have been tying a lot longer than me. You just think its going to happen straight away!
xxxxxx

Replies

• Options
    hi Vicxx

I would try every other day as sperm can live tht long. Have you tried other metods of spotting ovulation?
    ie temp chart, cm ect.

I know its hard, last month was my first time i got a +ve with an opk.You need to keep a check on your body to see what other changes occurr during ovulation and this will also help.

When u get a +ve im sure ov occurs with 24-48 hrs so i personally would keep at it until a few days after as there is still a small chance after that.

kelly
  • Options
    Thanks Kelly,
    I've never tried anything else other than ov tests. Whats cm? I've always thought the temp charts would be a bit tricky. Know this is a rather daft question but do you use a thermometer and how do you chart it?
    Big thanksxx
  • Options
    how about having a Quicky every night? just to be on the sfe side lol
    emmab1 xx
  • Options
    Hi Vicxx

I was exactly the same as you, couldn't get the stupid ovulating sticks to ever give me a positive and was getting myself in such a state taking temperatures and tyring to work out if my cervical mucus was resembling egg whites etc...anyway, then the nurse who takes my blood pressure said to me, forget about it totally, drink a bottle of champagne and move house. So I did forget about it and we did drink champagne and for some bizarre reason moved from Wiltshire to North Yorkshire all in a matter of 8 weeks and you know what...I was flipping pregnant the day we moved in!

Its always so easy for people to say dont think about it and it will happen, and whilst it worked for me and I could busy myself with the move I do understand that ttc does occupy every waking minute of the day.

Good luck and will keep fingers crossed.

Carolyn.x