Forum home› Getting pregnant› Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Weight and Exercise

Just been trying to find out if I'm under weight as my Mum keeps on about me needing to put on some weight to fall pregnant. Looks like I'm just in the healthy range so can't see that this would be a problem. Anyone find that putting on weight helped them fall pregnant? Also should I really be thinking about starting an exercise programme having done pretty much bu*ger all exercise in years? I am just worried that when I do fall that I should really be much fitter and stronger than I am....bit weedy!!! I've read different websites that seem to suggest different things re exercise. Bit confused....should I just be getting on with life so I'm not obsessing about falling pregnant or should I be doing everything I can????? What a dilema!

Replies

• Hi Amberley. This whole ttc business is such a lottery!!!!! There is so much advice and counter advice out there it is enough to drive you nuts!!!!! I have read on numerous advice sites that being underweight (really underweight) or really overweight can lessen your chances of conceiving but if you are in a healthy range i shouldnt worry about that at all. They say that by doing some decent exercise for about 30 mins 3 times a week can help you to conceive and also when you are carrying. It doesnt, however stop you from conceiving if you dont. When i fell with my son, i lost weight and i also enrolled in some swimming classes. Whether they helped or not i dont know but of course the one thing that you must ensure is timing! There is only a small window of opportunity each month, usually around day 14 of your cycle when you can fall and sadly we dont ovulate every month. If you already knew this, sorry but until you actually try to conceive, these things arent general knowledge. i didnt have a clue about any of that when i first started ttc and i was 35!!!!!! Very best of luck to you, try not to let it become the be all and end all as stress can sometimes hinder the process so relax (like that's easy!!!!!) dont think about it al lthe time (like THAT is easy), have fun and the very best of luck image lots of love and kisses, bluebird xxxx