Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

advice needed please

we are ttc but have an ongoing problem which means i have to take really strong pain killers. Pain is really bad at the moment and could do with taking these painkillers, but really worried incase i am pg that it might harm the baby. tried all week to get advice from the doctor, but suprisinlgy enough they dont ring back. not sure what to do as the pain is really getting to me.

Replies

• is there anything in the info with the pain killers that says anything about not being able to take them when pregnant??
  • you could ring the GPs out of hours service and get a call-back, or even NHS direct? they should be able to advise.
  • thanks ladies, will hceck the packet. Nearly range NHS direct but was worried they may think im wasting their time as im not ill. Will try them today.
  • I don't know if this helps but when I saw my GP to confirm my pregnancy he said ibuprofen based painkillers were a definite no-no but occasional paracetemol were ok.

If you're needing to take strong painkillers I would probably make an appointment to go to your GP. Maybe they do a saturday morning emergency surgery (don't worry that you are not 'ill' - if there is any chance that you are pregnant then this is important!).

The packet's usually always say 'take advice from your doctor if pregnant' and it's probably the best advice. He/she can probably make more of an informed decision than NHS Direct because they have access to your medical history etc.

Good luck with the pain and ttc!

gr x