Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sorry... me again!!!!

Hi Guys

AF has now gone, quite short and not too heavy thank god!!! but now I'm thinking of this month again and dreaming of a May baby!!! Just wondering what you think is best for me and my long & unpredicltable cycles?

How to know when OV?

Cheers

Den

Replies

• I'd give up work and tell oh you want sex every day at least once but twice if possible.....
    failing that I guess ov sticks are an option along with checking your CM and temp (bit of a chore though and adds lots of stress) Good luck xx
  • ov should b about 12 to 16 days before your next af with most women...so the avg is on day 14 if your cycle is 28 days. if its longer find out when af is expected to come and count back 14 days.
    Baby dust this cycle to all
  • Hi Den, I would check my cm, and temp. Also I would calculate when I would have ovulated over the last several cycles and work out the dates for next month if I were to have a cycle of that length (if that makes any sense??). Also I think it's recomended (sp?) to get busy every other day or every 3 days from when af leaves til when she rears her ugly head again!! Sorry for the novel, but hope it helps!! xxxxx
  • Hi,

When i'm off the pill i get irregular cylces ranging from about 3 to 5 weeks. it took about 6 months to get pg first time round and think it's because i didn't know when i was ov. This time i've checked cm which i think is a good way. i have tried to take my temp but it tells me a different thing everyday and hasn't really gone up just down. I've heard some other girls using this method tho and it has worked for them but the prob with temp taking is that when it rises it means you've already ovulated therefore missed your most fertile days. testing cm is the way to go i reckon if irregular and you know when it changes you know it's time to do it! Hope i haven't confused you if i have don't take any notice of what i've said. good luck let us all know how you get on xx
  • Hi den

I to had long & sometimes unpredictable cycles & the advice my dr gave me was to have sex every 3rd day from when your period ends til the next one begins. That way there is always sperm present in your system thus increasing your chances of concieving. She also advised against sex every day as she said that the sperm would be weaker & by giving it a couple of days in between it gave it a chance to recover & the sperm would be better quality. It worked for me as I got pregnant 2nd cycle.

Good Luck
    Hilary
  • I know this could end up being tmi!!!

How do I check and what do I look for????

Sorry image
  • Hi den, if you mean when checking cm then about mid cycle day 14 (although it was day 10 this month for me and could be later if your cycle is long) it should go like egg white (sorry tmi!). there is a bit about it on this site. go to the home page, then the 'getting pregnant' tab at the top. then click on the link 'understanding your fertility' and then 'when can sex make you pg' link.

I think that mixed with hilary's idea of doing it every 3 days and your on to a winner!

Hope this helps xx