Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Lunaception - Regulating Your Cycles

Has anbody heard of this??

I read an article on Friday about Lunaception. Google it, there are quite a few websites, but here is a brief description:

"Lunaception is a form of menstrual cycle regulation and, in some cases, natural birth control and conception aid, that depends upon the woman practicing it to align her menstrual cycle with the phases of the moon. The method was developed by Louise Lacey in 1974 and described in her book, "Lunaception : a feminine odyssey into fertility and contraception." The fundamental premise of the method is that nature and the universe are full of rhythms and cycles. Women can come into balance with their own fertility by paying attention to the evolutionary connection between menstruation and the moon by eliminating all light in her sleeping quarters for most of the cycle. The method has never been extensively tested under controlled scientific conditions and does not claim to have been, although many studies have been done in "real-life" situations where women have made every available attempt to control the amount of light, and some very convincing results have been observed"

Since Friday night I have removed my digital alarm clock (which was quite bright) and am using an eye mask. We'll see how it goes! I am on day 108 of my second cycle off the pill and haven't ovulated yet.

Will be interesting to see if it makes any difference!

Replies

• sounds strange but it if works, it works.
    mind you if i removed all light from my bedroom i'd probably never wake up again. lol. i'm a lazy bag.

let us know if it works
  • Very interesting theory, you will have to let us know how you get on!!

• At this point I'm willing to try anything!!!

A bit more science:

"Exposure to light at night can inhibit the pineal gland's production of melatonin. The pineal gland directs your body's rhythmic activities--including sleep, appetite, and the onset of puberty--through its production of melatonin. This hormone is primarily secreted at night, and it requires darkness to be produced. Bright light suppresses melatonin secretion.

The hypothalamus gland, also located in the brain, is richly supplied with melatonin receptors. This gland regulates your body's overall homeostasis, including things like blood pressure, emotions, temperature, and the endocrine (hormonal) system. Hormones secreted by the hypothalamus stimulate the anterior pituitary gland to secrete its hormones; and these, in turn, stimulate the thyroid gland, the adrenals and the ovaries to secrete yet other hormones. The ovaries (and the testicles) are also thought to contain melatonin receptors.

You can see how melatonin production--and thereby sleeping in darkness or with light--can affect the whole body's functioning, including the menstrual cycle: if the hypothalamus doesn't receive sufficient melatonin, its ability to regulate the hormonal system will be impaired."
  • well i never!!! i will make sure i keep my curtains well and truly shut then!!! we live right next to a road and the car lights come in all night!! xxxx
  • Got to be worth a try hasn't it?! It's free after all!
  • Well I shall turn off my light then-its only low bulb and I cant reach it when me and the cats have got comfy so I leave it on. It may explain my difficulties in ttc!!!xx
  • ummm, i leave our curtains open only got a quiet street but with a street lamp right outside window!! it was a free night light for us i shall put my blackout blind back upxxxx would be very strange if it worked though xx good luck all xx