Forum home› Getting pregnant› Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

can you recommend any good diets

hello everyone...I'm here again..
Just wondering if any of you can recommend any good ways to loose weight before ttc?
Bluebird suggested Slimming World in my last post which sounds a good option.
What have the rest of you tried? My friend swears by Weight Watchers and another by counting calories..
I use to go to the gym and be fairly fit but I lost interest last year and the weight pilled on. My oh and I love eating out and drinking wine...The wine will have to go on BOTH sides once we are ttc me thinks!!!
I have never been a skinny minnie...I look and feel ok at at a size 12-14...I'm a 16-18 at the moment..
My oh never has a problem with his weight as he does alot of running about in work and weights at the gym.

I know loosing weight will definitely help in ttc..it's just hard to get started...never really been very successful in dieting in the past. Maybe this is the push I need...
Comments welcome ladies...Thanks x

Replies

• To be honest, weight doesnt have anything to do with conceiving. Im a size 22 and am 38 weeks pregnant and got pregnant in the first month of trying!

I think the easiest and best way for you to lose weight is just to have a healthy diet and do regular exercise. Its all well and good doing these slimming world and weight watchers things but in the end of the day its just a more complicated way of saying eat healthy! I think this will be your best bet.

Ive done all these kinds of diets and yo-yoed in weight near enough all my life so i gave up trying lol and just tried to eat healthy

Hope this helps! xx
  • Sounds like good advice SamanthaLeigh, I think dieting would just be an extra stress and ttc is stressful enough! As long as you eat plenty of healthy stuff, and if you don't much healthy food, then perhaps ask about suitable supplements at your gp's or chemist you'll have enough dieting to do after baby is born- I put on nearly three stone with my son and took me nearly a year to lose it! amy x
  • I did weight watchers and did their core plan (you don't count points and it is REALLY simple) me and my hubbie had such success with it that we recommended it to all our friends etc and about 5 others have joined and done it due to us and they have all had the same success with it. It is so easy and not about making huge or unachievable changes. It is basically a healthy living plan which is very easy to say but without someone explaining and helping me I was useless this kept me on track and now I know the rules I can do it myself!

Weight DOES influence conception - Doctors will tell you this - not that overweight/bigger people can't or don't get pregnant but it can be MUCH more difficult!

Good luck.
  • Hi Lizbit!

I think the girls are right - try to get healthily - don't deprive yourself of nutrients!

I am a little big than I should be - I'm a size 10 - but a small frame so no bigger would be good - but my clothes are getting tight - when that happens I make sure I watch everything I eat - when they are a bit looser I don't so much! I never buy size 12 otherwise I would get lazy about watching what I eat - and I don't have scales in the house so I don't become obsessed! Having struggled in the past with eating habits and not being able to eat much at all and being skin and bone - I feel this method helps me! But me and my oh have been together for 5 years now and we love to eat and drink too - hence piling on a few pounds!

I would say what I do could work for you but each to their own - I try and make sure I have at least 5 portions of fruit and veg a day! I also try and drink as much water - up to 2 litres as possible! And I try and have 3 square meals - and no processed food - eveything cooked from home! Also I try to avoid bread - not because I think it's bad - but it tends to interrupt my digestive flow if you get my meaning!

Also when we eat out - I don't have 3 courses - I try to stick to two or one if I can get away with it! I don't drink wine when I'm on a "health kick" because it makes you hungrier and doesn't help your brain register when you are full! If we go for Indian - I don't have rice, I have a mixed veg side and a chicken dish without sauce - thats normally served with peppers and onions etc. Chinese I tend to have a starter - like shreddred chicken or smoked chiken, then have just noodles and curry sauce - as my oh eats much more that I do so I just have a little so he's not eating on his own as I'm stuffed after a starter! English/Italian restaurants I have a big chicken salad or chicken and veg etc! (I love chicken and am a fussy eater but fresh fish etc would be just as good)

There are girls at work on slimming world and weight watchers - but one thing they all seem to do is walk round the block a couple of times at lunch which seems to be helping too - they are all getting skinnier!

I hope this helps - I know it's hard sometimes especially with a man who loves to eat out and drink wine - but you just have to make a few lifestyle changes and I'm sure you'll do just fine! Try not to think of it as a diet try to think "healthy living!"

Good luck ttc! Love M

XXXXXXXX

• I'm a real weight watchers girl - it's very easy (points plan) and you can still eat out.

HTh rach
  • Thanks girls for the great advice!!
    I Have taken it all on board.

I will try what mummywannabe advises and if I fail then I will sign up to Slimming World or Weight Watchers.
    Going to start aerobics and swimming next week too....that will help burn some fat!!

I must admit that when I have cut carbs in the past the weight has fallen off quite easy with exercise. I don't think the Atkins is healthy but I do think pasta, bread and rice do my waist line any favours.

thanks lizbit x
  • Good luck Lizbit! Fingers crossed for you! try not to think diet - think "healthy living" - think preparing your body for you BFP! You'll do fine! My best friend was a size 22/24 and managed to get down to a size 16 - she lost about 3 stone I think - in just under a year and she's 58 - she did it last year! I'm so proud of her - she said I helped and was a great support if it wasn't for me she wouldn't have done it - but as far as I can see she did all the hard work!
    Have fun doing it - try new recipes to keep you interested!
    Don't cut your carbs drastically as you will start to crave them after the first week or so and could binge of a bigmac etc in a moment of weakness!
    XXXX