Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

loosing weight before ttc

Hiya are any of you trying to loose weight before concieving? i hope to loose 2 stone b4 ttc. Im a size 16-18 at the moment. Are any of you ttc whilst overweight? I had my son when i was a size 14-16 and never had nothing said to me but my friend who is now 30 weeks pregnant was told that it was irresposible getting pregnant a size 14 imageops::x

Replies

• Options
    hi there i think that as long as you eat healthy and feel healthy then that is the important issue . i personaly would think about wether your friend.. is really a friend . i think society are so stereotipical that the is to be acertain size . ttc will happen regardless. are your af reg if so dont worry at the moment about any crash diets... goodluck

[Modified by: nappies on July 30, 2007 06:32 PM]
  • Options
    No she wasnt saying it to me!!!!. She is a size 14 and was told by a dr that it was irresponsible getting preg while overweight. i do feel really healthy, im only 20 and have a 2 and a half yr old son. i think maybe cutting out alcohol and junk food will help with weight loss anyway. xxx
  • Options
    I lost 3 stone to concieve my little one ( I am 30 weeks tomorrow) and was really pleased that I did so. Don't get me wrong, I still needed to lose more ,but I joined Slimming World and I got my 3 stone award the week I got pregnant. So I guess I have them to thank!
    However, I have only just found out though that I am borderline for a water birth that I really want because they are starting to stop women over their ideal BMI from having them. My BMI was 35 when I got pregnant and that is the cut off so I might or might not get it.
    I weighed at group tonight and have put on 2 stone so far so I am glad I lost weight before hand as I would have hated to put on that on top of what I was already.
    Good luck!
    Tracey
    xx
  • Options
    yes def trackie thats how i feel. i put on 1st 9lb with my son so i think even if i can loose that before getting pregnant it wud be good. did ur drs make any comments to u at getting preggie at bmi 35 and how are u coping physically etc at the mo. my bmi at the mo is 30
  • Options
    hi guys, i am alot more overweight than you guys and i personally feel quite victimised by the medical profession.when i was pregnant my weight was mentioned at every opportunity and i was made to feel like an inconvenience.now am ttc again + having problems i was told it was because i am too fat, however blood tests have ruled out unusual hormone levels and so was told by another doctor that it is unlikely my weight is the cause because of this. I have been treated like i am stupid,been told just to eat less as if it is that simple!if i could just eat less then i wouldn have a prob with weight to start with!yes i would love to be a healthier weight (which i am constantly trying 2 achieve)but that doesnt mean i dont have the right to want a baby and it doesnt mean i wont have a healthy baby or be a good mum (because i already am!)if i am willing to take the risks involved in having a baby what is the problem?so just want to be left alone about it as sick of being lectured like a naughty child!ok rant over thank you all x
  • Options
    Have you coped physically well chanidoll with pregnancy whilst being overweight? also im sure the stress of them treating you like a naughty child and mentioning ur weight alot is stressful which doesnt help ttc either which then leads to them saying its because of ur weight etc. Anyway i hope you get pregnant soon and have a healthy pregnancy x
  • Options
    I am coping fine with my BMI of 35. But they took this at my first docs appt. I then went on to lose almost another stone through severe sickness but this wasn't taken into account. Having only just found out that I am borderline I would have been gutted if my BMI was any higher, even though it was something I had never worried about before. I wish I had known about the BMI / Water birth thing before I got pregnant because I felt so proud losing my weight, for the docs to say to say that it's not good enough is a bit of a kick in the teeth I can tell you! When I conceived I weighed less that I had done in about 10 years!
    Still, what I am trying to say is if you want to lose weight then do it for yourself and not because you feel you have been forced to by the medical profession because it won't work if you have to do it for someone else.

My personal opinion is that it was a big factor (but not the only one) holding me back from getting pregnant because I had been trying for 2 years previously.
    If it's what you want ladies, then go for it!
    xxxx
  • Options
    Hi. Im a size 16 and have just come off the pill, im doing the slimming world diet. because i dont want people to think that im 5months pregnant when im only a month or two! How embarrasing will that be! Not only that, i want my baby to be as comfortable as possible, for me to get to my ideal weight, i need to lose 4st!! i cant see that happening somehow!
    good luck ladies
    XXXX
  • Options
    Hi Guys!
    Nice to know I am not the only one ttc whilst carrying a little too much extra weight. I recently had a missed miscarriage and am trying to get as healthy as possible before we ttc after next af. I have also got an underactive thyroid and am convinced this is stopping me losing the weight. I am strict with what I eat as have to follow a dairy and gluten free diet...which limits what I can eat. I tried slimming world and it did not suit me cos of my intolerances but have seen so many success stories there.

Good luck everyone
    Sian X
  • Options
    i did have a healthy pregnancy first time and went for long walks everyday to keep active.i had a difficult birth but was told that i can not give birth naturally but thats not because of my weight.i do feel pressured to loose weight at every app i go to which makes me dread it and i always end up crying all the next day.it makes me feel worse so i comfort eat which doesnt help!