Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

When to BD?

Hiya,

I'm getting all confused with DPO and positive OPKs etc. Please humour me:

If you got a positive OPK on wednesday morning when would you say are ideal times to BD in an ideal world?

Thanks loads

Replies

• In an ideal world.. I would say defo the Wednesday and the Thursday... then maybe if you can manage the Friday or the Saturday. However, we ended up BDing Sun, Mon and Tues (Positive OPK on Tues). We couldn't muster up the enthusiasm Wed and then I managed to gouge a giant hole out of my back Friday...oh dear! As you know, SMEP had taken all of our energy prior to this!! The spermies take 8 - 10 hours to find the egg and the egg only survives for 12-24 hours so there is some suggestion that before and on OV are good... anything after is even better. Good luck Wispa and have fun!! x
  • In an ideal world.. I would say defo the Wednesday and the Thursday... then maybe if you can manage the Friday or the Saturday. However, we ended up BDing Sun, Mon and Tues (Positive OPK on Tues). We couldn't muster up the enthusiasm Wed and then I managed to gouge a giant hole out of my back Friday...oh dear! As you know, SMEP had taken all of our energy prior to this!! The spermies take 8 - 10 hours to find the egg and the egg only survives for 12-24 hours so there is some suggestion that before and on OV are good... anything after is even better. Good luck Wispa and have fun!! x
  • Thanks for the reply hun. How's the moon going? Hope you're still having a great time? What have you done to your back? Hope you're ok?

Sounds like we've been quite similar to you so far BD'd on day before and day of positive OPK. Hope we've done it. When you going to test?
    xx
  • hello wispa

a +OPK usually means you will OV in the next 24-48 hours, so anytime just before, on and a couple of days after the +, covers the window.

so a + on a wed would mean you could OV that day or the next, depending on your surge, with the OPK the day following the last + OPK is classed as 1DPO, so if thursdays OPK is negative it would be 1DPO,
  • The moon is fab thank you - very restful! Only 6 days left until we're back in good old Blighty though. I stupidly gouged my back in the bath - I was doing a bit of leg shaving gymnastics and as I moved I caught my lower back on our very large bath tap...ouch! Anyway, after much pain and realising I was practically bleeding to death, I passed out! haha - very ladylike! Luckily hubby had only just left for work so turned round and took me to the Dr. My Dr is so nice - I can walk in 2 mins from our house and they saw me as soon as I got there. So I am sporting a whacking bruise with my bikini! How did you get on with the BDing and the OVing? Creeping further into the 2ww now! AF is due Thursdayish for me and I am having slight twinges so not getting my hopes up. Fingers crossed that this is a good month all round though! x
  • Owwwww, that sounds so painful. Should have been using your new rainfall shower head instead of the bath, much safer! hehe. Made me laugh about the shaving legs gymnastics, thats exactly what i do. Things us women have to get up to!?

We've BD'd day before positive OPK and day of so hopefully that will be enough to do it. Fingers and toes crossed for us both. I'm 2DPO so a long wait ahead. Have you had any symptoms at all? When you testing?
  • That's what I was thinking next month if it doesn't work this month.. will continue SMEP but start day 12ish rather than day 7 because I OV so late - poor hubby will be exhausted if we tried to do that! Am thinking I might try Preseed this month too... any recommendations? I am going to try to hold out until after AF is due to test, I already feel very stressed about it and I think a string of BFNs will only add to this. Wish it was easier to put out of your mind. In hindsight - coming away for the 2ww probably wasn't a good idea! Have had way too much time on my hands to think about it, time would have flown if I had other things to think about. I'm not sure how people expect you to deal with the stress if it takes a long time... men have it so easy.
  • MrsEH, you may still be good for this month. Must be really hard for you, cos if i was having lazy days i would be dreaming about BFP constantly. As it is, i'm still doing that but at least work distracts me a bit. 3DPO for me.
    Have you tested at all yet?
  • Nope... trying not to. Might test Wed/Thur before we make the journey home - partly so I know whether to have the STs at hand ready for AF! Will be just my luck with 2 days of travelling ahead. I am thinking that by the time we are home and having tea and biscuits in bed Saturday morning, AF will be 2 days late... When is AF due for you and when do you think you will test?
  • Think AF due 29th/30th so 10 DPO on sunday an dreckon i might do a sneaky test then cos i'm sooooo impatient. Wish i could wait but don't think i will.
    Keep me posted with your result. Fingers crossed
  • If I had lots of tests with me I might have started at 10/11 DPO and then every other day after. Don't want to get overly stressed (though bit late for that)! Sending you lots of luck Wispa, hope SMEP does the trick for you. What have you got in mind to distract you between now and then?
  • Absolutely nothing to distract me, that's the problem!!! hehe. I'm really busy at work but it still crops into my head reguarly!!