Forum home› Getting pregnant› Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Pregnacare.....

Hi all,

I am new to the site and although I am not ttc at the moment we are planning to start in July once we are married and back from our honeymoon.

My question is that I am on the pill at the moment and will carry on taking the pill until we are married so that I can ensure on my wedding day and on the honeymoon I am not on my period and I also take this pill to help with my spots so I don't want an out break on my wedding day, anyway I just want to know will I be okay to start taking Pregnacare 3 months before we are planning to start ttc even though I will still be on the pill?!?!?! (Getting married end of June plan to start ttc in July - want to start taking Pregnacare around April. I think they say to start taking Folic Acid/Pregnacare 3 months before you plan to start ttc.)

Please help.......Anyone............

[Modified by: bonzo on 25 March 2007 12:51:07 ]

Replies

• Options
    Hi bonzo. Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding, really hope it is all you dream it will be image As for your question, i dont know the naswer if i am perfectly honest but i would say that it will be perfectly alright for you to do so because pregnacare is a multi-vitamin tablet which inclues folic acid, zinc etc which can only do you good. I would suggest askying at the pharmacy or just buying some in readiness and reading the leaflet that comes with it. I honestly cant see that it would be any different to taking any other vitamins. Best of luck with the wedding and ttc afterwards. love and kisses, bluebird xxxx
  • Options
    Hi Bluebird,

Thank you for your reply.

I have already bought some Pregnacare but it does not say anything on the leaflet. I have also looked on the Pregnacare website but it mentions nothing on there either.

I think the best thing to do as you said is to ask the Pharmacy or make an appointment to see my doctor. (I know they will just say it is best to stop taking the pill and wait a couple of months before we start ttc.)
    Like you said though they are only vitamins etc, so I can't see how it would hurt.

I just wondered how other people come straight off the pill and start ttc. Perhaps they don't take folic acid or Pregnacare?!?!?!

Anyway thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

Bonzo
  • Options
    I can't see any reason why you can't take pregnacare whilst on the pill. I have read somewhere that being on the pill robs your body of some vitamins. Taking pregnacare will replace any lost vitamins and get your body ready for when you do want to conceive.
  • Options
    Thank you lilypingu
  • Options
    Hiya Bonzo,

I did much research on this!! I stopped taking the pill in November but started taking folic acid just before that.just to be sure I was taking it before i statred ttc as I know you should take it for the first 3 months.

I am still ttc. I thought about having 3 months rto let my body get used to coming off the pill so that i could track my dates etc. Period is still ranging between a 28 and 32 day cycle so not easy to tarck ovulation etc but i would advise starting trying as soon as you come off the pill as your body will know when its ready!!enjoy your wedding. I got married in september and had a fantastic day. Perfect!!!! i wish you just the same. Enjoy oyour honeymoon too, then you will be able to focus entirely on babies!!!!!!!!!

love jellybaby x
  • Options
    Hi Jellybelly,

Thank you for the advise, nice to hear from someone who has done the same. I will start taking the Pregnacare in April. I will take my last pill on 13th July so after that we will start trying.

I am of course hoping it will happen straight away but I know that my body will have to get back to normal. I have been on the pill for 7 years so will take a while to get back to normal I am sure.

Thank you again and good luck to you..........

Bonzo
    x
  • Options
    I there - think there is a bit of confusion going on here!!! You DON'T have to take folic acid (or anything else) for 3 months before you start trying, you should take it when you start trying and for the first 3 months of the pregnancy!!!

So I came off my pill at the end of last month and started taking folic acid the next day and have been since and will do until 3rd month of a pregnancy.

There will be no harm in taking it at the same time as your pill but it will just be pointless and like throwing your money down the drain as it doesn't have to build up in your system or anythin!

So save your cash and just start taking it when you start ttc!!!!

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    Ideally health professionals do reccommend you take a folic acid supplement like Pregnacare - 3 months before you try.

You dont really have to, but it cant hurt can it? You can get folic acid FREE from the doctor.

You CAN take folic acid (or if you prefer Pregnacare) while you are on the pill just as long as you are not taking any other multi-vitamin supplement.

If you take it before you concieve you can be rest-assured that your covered if you fall pregnant straight away.

Although the most important time to take folic acid is as soon as you find out you are pregnant until you are past the 3months mark.

Good luck and enjoy baby-making!

Emma xx
  • Options
    Hi there Bonzo

Craftycharli is correct, you don't need to take folic acid etc etc for 3 months before you start trying ..... UNLESS your at a greater risk of having a child with a neural tube defect (i.e previous children with an NTD or other family members with an NTD), in which case you should take folic acid at least a month beforehand. One thing that is true and has been said already is that you need to be taking folic acid as soon as you come off of the pill and start trying and for the first 3 months of pregnancy.

Hope you have a fantastic wedding and honeymoon and enjoy ttc. Love Sarah xxx