Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I don't know if I can do this!

This is crazy, hubby and I have only been trying since we got married in July, but I can't be this nervous anymore about conceiving/not conceiving! I hate ttc (well, I love the good bitsimage ) it's far too much pressure. BFNs are the worst thing ever, I don't know whether I want positive or negative, then when I get a negative I'm sad, but not devestated. Arg! How do people cope when they don't get pregnant for years??? I can't keep doing this!!!

Sorry, I don't even know what I'm trying to say. I keep crying for no reason, I can't eat much because I feel crap when I do and I'm not even sure when af is due because I've been on and off the pill since March. Everyone seems to be pregnant straight away without even trying or doing anything special. My friend's just discovered she's 24 weeks pregnant and due in December when her first baby will be 18 months old. It's as though everyone else is blessed with baby dust and I have a horrible sinking feeling that this time next year nothing will be different. Please reassure me that I'm not going mad, I feel as though I am.

Sorry

Replies

• Options
    Hi Emily, I'm so sorry you are going through this. You sound so confused.

I can't pretend I know what you are going through, but it is normal to feel nervous and unsure. Even if it is what you really really want.

It sounds like you need to have a serious think about whether this is the right time for you to ttc. If you do not truly want a baby at the moment, then maybe you should talk to your DH about putting it off for a while. There is nothing to say just because you are married now, you need to try for children straight away.

I hate seeing bfn's but I am filled with disappointment when I see them, I tend to wait until af is due, rather than test.

If you do feel you are ready for a baby, then this site is full of information and support.

I hope you can come to a decision. xx
  • Options
    hi sorry to hear you are feeling this way.
    im sending you lots of PMA ********
    out of interest, when was your last af?
  • Options
    Hi Emily, congrats on your recent nuptials. I just got married in May and I found that I went from being totally in control with the wedding planning to having no control whatsoever on ttc. Maybe this is a bit of what you may be feeling.

Like Mithical, I think that maybe you and OH should have a chat about ttc and whether you really want a baby now, you sound a little unsure.

• Options
    Thanku for the support girls x

OH and I waited until we were married to ttc, it's something we've waited many many years to be able to do and feel we had the right environment in which to have babies (not saying that anyone has to be married, just that's what we wanted to do first!) and we were both really excited and relieved to be able to bd without any worry of it being the wrong time/condoms splitting/rubbishness of being on the pill.

I've had a big massive cry this afternoon and a chat with OH. I think my worst fear is letting him down. I've taught myself to not look forward to anything really because I always seem to end up disappointed.

Last af was 4th August-11th August (right over my honeymoon, thank you very much!) and before that I'd taken half a packet of pills (stopped taking them on 30th July, mid-packet) but before that, I'd come off the pill in April, having only been on it again for 2 months (felt rotten!) Before that, I came off the pill two years previously, having taken it for four years. This has made me very paranoid that I've done myself some sort of damage and may not be able to even get pregnant. I don't even know if I've ovulated this month!

One minute I'm not disappointed at all that I'm not pregnant, next minute I'm devastated. Should start af at around 1am tomorrow morning, as long as it's gone back to normal. Who knows? My brain hurts!
  • Options
    If now you have had a chat about ttc with your OH. Then maybe by not putting pressure on yourselves it will all fall into place.

Enjoy being married, bd when you want, not because it is the right time. Give yourselves a couple of months where you are more relaxed about it, if it happens it happens.

Then perhaps consider using ov sticks, counting days etc. The pill can take time to get out of your system, whether you have used it continuously or in broken periods like you have.

The more relaxed about it you are, the more likely it is to happen. xx
  • Options
    I know what you mean about the not feeling devastated. I feel disappointed, then okay about it, then disappointed again, I think it's maybe a defence mechanism!!

Plus I do REALLY want a baby but am very scared about lots of aspects of it, so maybe there's a bit of relief there cos of that.

Hope you feel better soon,as mithical said try to relax x