Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

oh my!!! my big fat gypsy wedding!!

good lord!

did anyone see it last night? the dresses where horreendous!! felt so sorry for the bridesmaids of the first wedding they showed!!!!

xx

Replies

• I did watch it and it was quite hard not to judge as is part of their culture. I don't really know to much about the traveller culture apart from all the negative press they get. Guess like every race/culture there is good/bad in everyone. Not sure I agree with girls leaving school before they are 16 and having no aspirations other than being a wife, but guss I am a modern woman and that doesn't sit well with my culture/who I am.
    I though one or two of the designs wern't too bad but on the whole - awful!!! However, would we be able to comment on a Muslim/Sikh/Christian wedding in such a way? It's difficult really.
  • i saw it too - what a great watch! lol i can't believe 22 is considered really old to be getting married! i did feel sorry for the last bride who had only met her husband twice before and wasn't sure if she was going to have to move to ireland - she looked really scared!
    it was really interesting actually hearing about the culture rather than just taing a pop at the tackyness - it was interesting that they all dressed in such skimpy outfits and in our culture if you saw people dressed like that on a night out you'd assume they were "easy" but yet they don't believe in sex before marriage and are all on the look out for potential husbands at 15!
  • I have 1 word for the whole of that program......Tacky! lol,

Hey cookies was the 1st wedding the one with the bridesmaids in green, I felt sorry for them, they looked silly, they didnt look happy.

MPP
    xxx
  • The dress maker who made my bridesmaid dresses does a lot of gypsy weddings, I was horrified when i saw some of her demo photos! She said the more outrageous and huge the dresses were the happier the brides were. Crazy! They said someone had a 27 stone dress, and i thought my wedding dress weighed a lot!! lol
  • i watched it with an open mind as didn't know too much about their culture and i was actually shocked at how religious they are and that they have pretty ok morales!!
    it was the dresses that i thought were awful. the fitted one wasn't too bad but the train really was a bit ott!!
    i cannot imagine the pain of wearing a 27 stone dress!! mine seemed heavy enough!!!
    i couldn't believe the average age of a bride either shocking!!! and the boys sussing out the girls was pretty funny!!!

• I missed it, do you know if it is repeated? I work with Gypsies and Travellers and I do think they are very misunderstood. I do feel very sorry for the way they are always judged so negatively.

V xxx
  • it was on channel 4 and think it may be weekly but it should be on 4 on demand on line!!!

xx
  • Thank you - I'll have a look. xxx
  • The dresses were hideous! Imagine having to get shoved into a carriage to get to your wedding - not exactly dignified! lol!
  • What I didn't get, and think they should've explained, is the seemingly contradictory dress vs morals thing that cookiesandcream said - they didn't explain why the girls go out in next to nothing, is it for attention? self esteem? to attract a husband?? they didn't really say....
  • i loved this programme. yes the wedding dresses were not to my taste. but maybe if i got married at 16 and had designed my dress since i was 6 it may well have looked very like theirs! i think the reason they dress so skimpy is just in their culture. as travellers they probably dont have much need to dress demurely ie. to go to work. and they are all so young that the majority of them can get away with dressing like that. for me id never have worn clothes like that unless i was out clubbing or on holiday.
  • Hi,

I work for a television production company and we are developing a series set in a bridal shop.

I would love to know of any dressmakers that make clothes for gypsy weddings that anyone here has come across.

Thank you for any help or advice in the meantime.

scott
  • i love this programme it just makes me laugh so much.

This might not be politically correct but i think the voiceover talking about the traveller "culture" is just a way of justifying making it. In actual fact i think the voiceover takes the mick out of them most of the time. So tacky and chavvy and so oblivious it's hilarious.

I definately think live and let live though, ha ha.

But there's no way i believe they're all virgins!!