Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

CBFM advice

Hello I am new today and really searching for any information anyone may have about using a CBFM.

I am 38 and currently trying to conceive. My daughters are 21 and 19, I then had a mc June 06. Our baby boy Jacob was heartbreakingly born sleeping on March 21st this year. I am now desperate to be pregnant and once again bring a baby home.

I have never had to ttc before and so now its all strange and new. I thought it would just happen, as it always has before.

I am using a CBFM for the first month and had my first high on day 13, today is day 21 and am still having highs. Does anyone know if this means I am not ovulating? Can you have highs after you have ovulated? Whats the latest you could ovulate in a 28/30 day cycle? So many questions. Sorry :\?

Kate

Replies

• Hi Kate,
    I am using the cbfm also and I'm currently on cd 28 of whats usually a 34/36 day cycle.
    I've only just started using it this month so I'm no expert, but I know that you can get more than 5 days at high as it takes the first month for the monitor to get used to your body.
    I can tell you what my monitor read but I'm not sure how helpful this will be as everyone is different.
    Day 1 - 9 = low
    Day 10 - 17 = high
    Day 18 and 19 = peak
    Day 20 = high
    Day 21 to date = low
    I read in the booklet that sometimes the monior can give an inaccurate reading if you are either pregnant already or you are weeing too much, or not enough on the test sticks. I found it easiest to pee into a container and then dipped the test stick in for about 15 secs. The booklet did also say that continual high readings could mean that you have not ovulated during this month, which I think is quite common during at least one cycle a year. You may have just been unlucky and started using the monitor on the one month when there is no ov. I would try not to worry, (I know it's easier said than done), maybe wait until next month and see what happens with the monitor then, if you still get no peak readings you could always pop to the docs. I hope that this has been of some help to you. Let me know how you get on. Lots of luck. xxx
  • Hi Kate,

I used the CBFM last month as I signed up to the trial that they were doing, I only used it for one cycle and it read Low through to about Day 11 and then High until day 23! With it never showing a peak day.

I must have had a peak day though as I went with my instincts on when I thought I was ovulating and am now expecting.

Dont give up hope with the monitor, I think they take at least one cycle to "get to know you" so am sure things will settle down

Fingers crossed you get that BFP soon x
  • Hello

Please could someone tell me where to get one of these monitors and how much it will set me back?

Cheers

Den
  • Hi Den,
    Been away for a few days so just catching up on messages. I'm taking part in an early pregnancy trial. You get the monitor and ov sticks for free for 6 months. You have to collect urine samples everyday and fill in a daily diary which you have to send back to them. I'm in month 2 of the trial and I'm not sure if they are still taking people on but if you are interested I can send you the name and number of the person you have to call. Alternatively you can buy the cbfm in Boots for ??100 and a pack of test sticks are ??20. You'll need between 10 and 20 sticks per month so it does work out quite pricey! Sorry it's taken so long to reply. xxx
  • hi kate,this is my 1st month using the monitor,and like you ,i just had low days followed by lots of high days.i didnt have a peak.however,i had a day 21 blood test done at the doctors,which showed that i did ovulate this month!! xxx
  • hello eveyone
    i just wonderd how everyone is getting on with their CBFM this is my second month of usinging it currently on day 16 of a 30 day cycle and i have had no luck at all my first month was all highs and now my second month is still low ttc our first baby we got married last month and had a mc in march do you think it could be due to any of these? hope you are all getting on well with your monitors and gl for you this month lots of baby dust on its way

kerry