Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Making me feel bad

I have lost so much confidence and its mostly because of my ex boss.

I went freelance at the start of this year and carried on working for my old company on a freelance basis. They were a bit angry with me for leaving and only gave me the freelance work coz they couldn't find a replacement.

Today I was summoned by the boss who had a right go at me for an error they made (and I have proof it was their error), the boss told me the company didn't want to work with me anymore and rather than just leave it he went on and on about how wrong I am and how bad my mistake was.

I didn't even made the error and I am good at my job but when you are put down time after time by this man you can't help wondering if it true.
So I came home, had a brew and watched some telly before pulling myself together and got on with some work only to find he has e-mailed me to have another go at me. On and on about the same stuff all over again.
Why does he need to do this? Its hard working for yourself and you can't work for nothing so why does he think this helps? My confidence is low and I can't help wondering if I am kidding myself trying to work as a freelancer.

Sorry to moan girls and I know this has nothing to do with ttc (even though I am still trying) but sometimes you just need to let off steam. Stress is not a good thing.

Hope everyone else is having a nice Friday.

Replies

• Hi Babybetty

I had a b*tch from hell as a boss in my last job and it was very similar to your situation, I was doing a good job but there were a few c*ck-ups with a client and because she had never really liked me I was used as a scapegoat and forced to resign (I was only 22 and quite naive). She told me so many times I'd done this or that wrong I started to believe it, even when I'd had good reviews from most of my clients. When I started my current job I made a tiny mistake and was sitting there crapping myself thinking my new boss would go nuts. But he didn't and I then realised that I was now working with normal people and the problem was with my old boss, not me! It took me ages to get my confidence back but you just have to keep telling yourself that it's them not you. Mind you, it did help that the guy that got the job after me walked out of the office after 3 weeks and refused to speak to her ever again!
    Don't give up on freelancing, I'm sure you'll find some more work with decent people.
    Don't let the bullies grind you down!
    xxxx

• yup screams bully to me i worked as a gym instructor (had all training etc) and my so calloed manager tried everything to put me down even tho was better at job than she was once she got us all fired etc she started up her own gym she was one cow!!! dont let people bully you especially if you got proof .you go girl
  • Clearly this guy has problems! I've had trouble with my boss sapping my confidence too, so I know how easy it is to let them make you feel useless. You have to fight it! You know that you are good at your job, at the end of the day, his company is losing out because they are going to have to look for someone else as good as you. He is really out of order though, going on and on at you like that! You said you have proof that the error was not yours... have you considered going to his superior and telling them what's going on? Because if the guy has effectively given you the sack he shouldn't still be emailing you to rant about it!
  • Thanks you lot, that is so nice to hear that I am not the only one who has worked with some idiots.

One reason I went freelance was because I hated the way they messed around with peoples feelings. I hated it, its been better since I went freelance but they still treat me like an employee. Wanting free work done, rush jobs, making me jump through hoops and calling the shots all the time.

I can't tell the bosses boss as he is the owner of the company (small company so I dealt with the top cheese all the time).

You are all right, he is a bully and trying to put all this guilt on me to make me feel pants, that's so horrid. On the floor where he works I was the last female there, he scared all the others off so maybe that is his problem, women!

I haven't replied to his e-mail, I thought I would calm down first and then reply next week once I am chilled and had time to think about what to say.

I am wondering if stress is why I haven't had an AF since coming off the pill 6 months ago.

I wish I could take a confidence pill. But on a positive note, its Friday image