Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

O/T - Help please re. speeding ticket!

Hi Ladies

Can anyone help me out please...

Does anyone know if when you get a speeding ticket do you have to sign somewhere when you send it back to agree that it was you speeding and you agree to pay the fine/have points on liscense?

Think my hubby's work may be trying to pull a fast one on him with a speeding fine for a company car....

Thanks, NN xxx

Replies

• Write back and say you don't think it was you driving, it was a company car etc and they will send you the pic from the camera. We did this last year because we didn't know if it was OH or me and we got sent the picture, it was really clearly OH!
    Just explain your concerns and they should send you the pic.
  • I agree with Miss I - request a phot, we have lots of company cars and have done this twice - both times it was a Director driving and I loved having to tell them!!

xx
  • The owner of the car has to sign to say who was driving it at the time of the offense. I presume that for a company car who ever deals with the cars would do this. He should definately ask for the details though as there is no reason why he should pay the fine or take the points if someone else was driving!
    xx
  • Thanks ladies. The problem is that OH works for his family and they've caused a LOT of problems for us over the 2 years he's worked for them.

This morning his dad tells him that there's a speeding fine for this certain car from 2 months ago but that they've paid it but that my husband will be having the points on his lisence. It could have been either him or his dad as they shared the driving that evening (although we haven't seen the exact date of fine - we just have to take their word for it)

So apparently all the paper work has been sent off now so we can't request the photo. I would have thought hubby would have had to sign something or send off both parts of his lisence? Unfortunately the paper part of his lisence was at his mum and dads house. As you can tell neither of us have ever had a speeding ticket before!

The things is I know that his dad has points on his lisence already and last year claimed his wife was driving to avoid getting more points...now we think this is what they're doing again but with hubby and without telling him!

Also, hubby is on my car insurance too - will this make the price go up?

Thanks, a very annoyed NN xx
  • you have to disclose if he gets points on his licence, and this may well increase your premiums.
    is your hubbys driving licence registered at yours or in laws address? i think you have to send both parts off, (ive never had points but my mum has and im sure they update both)

some people are well cheeky!
  • 2 months ago?????!!!

My boss was done for speeding last month and the notice was posted within 2 weeks, we had to sign to say who the driver was and his postal address, they then send the form direct to the driver who has to sign to agree/disagree he was driving, usually this is sent with a conditional fine offer and states the penalty points.

If unsure ask who the letter was from (which authority) and give them a call
  • Sounds like your PIL are screwing you over. Can you ask them for the letter the police sent? There are 2 parts and you keep one and send the other one away. Its completely illegal for your MIL to take points for your FIL, if they get caught they can lose their license and go to prison for fraud!
    It sounds like an awful situation you are in!!
  • NN
    The driver HAS to sign it. If your PIL has told DVLA your OH was driving then OH should get a letter for him to sign which he obviously hasn't. IF PIL has sorted it then he HAS to have forged your OH's signature.
    Family or no family - thats wrong!!!
    xxxx
  • Emma's right the driver HAS to sign something to accept responsibility - your PIL can't just GIVE your OH the fine / points!

The owner of the car receives a letter and if they weren't the person driving, they complete a part of the form / letter and send it back.

The person driving then gets the same letter (obviously a fresh copy with their details on!) which they complete and send back signing to confirm they were the driver.

This happened to hubby when I was driving his company car... his fleet management company got the letter and dished it out to hubby (as its his car but I was insured to drive it), hubby completed the form saying I was driving and then a week or two later I got the same letter to complete and return. I got a fine and 3 points.

I might be going out on a limb saying this but I am 99.999999% sure this is what happens EVERYWHERE. Your hubby can't just be GIVEN the fine and points.

Its sounds VERY dodgy to me - I'm sorry!!!

Good luck xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Thank you everyone.

This isn't the first time they've screwed us over, believe me!

I will try and ask his mum about it and see if I get any better answers. It's a really horrible situation because of family dynamics and my hubby feels really uncomfortable with situations they keep putting him/us in. If he could leave his job he'd be out of there in a shot, but it's just not an option right now :cry:

Thanks again for all your help and advice. I thought it would be resent out to hubby and he'd have to sign it. I had also heard that it was meant to be originally sent out within 2 weeks....whole thing sounds dodgy to me!

AGHHHHHHH.

~ NN xx
  • Good luck with speaking t his mum, and i hope the situation is resloved quickly image

p.s they have to re-send the form to the driver as the letter/penalty address and driving licence address must match!