Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Broody problems

After 30 years of never wanting children it hit me...hard! Being broody! Just before my period (I was on the pill) I would become a baby monster. I was making myself quite ill. I contacted NHS direct and went to my doctors for help. Both came back as 'this is what it is like being a woman'. After several discussions with my partner (who also said he never wanted children) we have decided to start trying. This is so new to me I am really scared. (Mum's over the moon). I have a couple of questions:
1. Will the broody feelings go away or am I stuck like this till menopause?
2. I have started taking folic acid pills but is there something else I could be taking i.e vitamins?
3. How long should it take to get pregnant? (I have come off the pill last month and had one period, I was on the pill for years)

Thanks Katx

Replies

• hi kat dont worry and panic so much i know it feels alien and weird but it will settle down honest i was the same i wanted my tubes tied up till i hit 25 and then an alien took over my brain and made me broody!!! i took sanatogen pro natal as it is a multy vit and folic acid designed for woman trying to concieve and also through out pregnancy and beyond (you have to be care ful with multi vits you can get too much of the wrong ones if you just choose an ordinary one) how long to get pregnant well thats like asking how long is a piece of string !! it varies but if you get too uptight it can take longer so relax and enjoy the baby making sex . good luck and keep on reading all the postings on here there are a lot of really cool women who can answer just about every question you might have and offer the support you might not get from your other half or friends and family .
  • Thank you. I know I might sound a bit mad but the whole thing has made a massive impact on my life and I seem to only have one focus. I have already organised diary to check any changes (my mum thinks I am hilarious). There are some other things which worry me:
    1. How can people afford it? (especially childcare!)
    2. What child benefits do you get, if any?
    3. What do all the letters mean on your blogs?
    4. How long should we try until we visit the doctors for help?

I know I might sound silly I am reading this and making myself laugh.
  • Hey and welcome to the rollercoaster world of ttc. firstly there is a lovely post on the trying for baby bit which explains all the shorthand.

I think now your broody that is it for life..dont even think menapause stop it you just want grandchildren then lol.

Regards your questions I would recommend telling the doc now that your trying. most doc's wont test you until you have been trying for 12 to 18 months, but if you let him know if your not lucky in that time he will take you seriously.

Dont think about the money...i really think that very few people can afford it but we all manage. we have had to wave good bye to foreign holidays and expensive meals, and i now buy most of my clothes in primark instead of next etc but my boys are worth it.

Regards financial support it all varies depending on your income but you can get child and working tax credits, which can help.

xx
  • Hi Kat,
    Well done for taking the folic acid (I started taking the tablets this month, too). As Highlandfea says, avoid multivitamins and evening primrose oil; there are usually warnings on the containers about not being suitable if TTC or pregnant. I've read not to bother about multivitamins; they are unnecessary if you have a good balanced diet with plenty of fruit, veg and protein. I had already cut down on my alcohol intake prior to my wedding in April.
    I am 34 and so is my husband. I've read you should visit your doctor after a year of trying if you are under 35. If you are over 35 only wait 6 months before getting advice. I'll be 35 in November, so if nothing is happening by then, we'll get advice.
    We are considering one of those home fertility test kits from Boots.
    Regarding finances; if people waited until they could really afford it and everything else was sorted out, only the extremely rich would ever have children! I was feeling worried about having everything in place before TTC (both of us working full time, building work completed on house) but as we are in our mid-thirties, we thought we had better get a wiggle on... Check out advice about maternity leave, tax, etc if you are concerned.
    This message is a bit longer than I had intended-sorry!

Hope this helps,
    Nessy
  • cant really say anything else that the other ladies havent said, butjust relax the more stressed you get the harder it will be , took me 10 years to have my 1st, then decided the more i stressed out the worse i was making myself feel, then 1 day it just happened, as for the money you manage, you do get help depending on your earnings, but you just seem to find money from somewhere, it works out cheaper for me to work part time. and you will feel broody now forever as soon as 1 pops out you want another lol. good luck ttc ill keep my fingers crossed for you. take care xxx