Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

male fertility testing

anyone know anyhting about this? My husband had to take a 'sample' to the hosptial today to get it tested (bless him he was so embaressed!). we havent been able to talk today coz of work and i am desperated to know how long the tests take and what exactly they test for etc. Anyone any ideas? sorry, just impatient and cant wait till he gets home!

Replies

• hey ca1312...well they test for the sperm number and quality...as for the number i think they have to be millions or something but im not quite sure,,,and then they would want to make sure that their quality is good..that is that they're good swimmers , not dead etc...but i dont really know how long does it take for the results to come out...goog luck image
  • Hiya They will tell you how many million sperm per ml (then give you the percentage swimming forward!). We got the results back via letter in about a week to a week and half. It will tell you if generally everything is ok - my OH pranced around like Macho man at '58 million with 51% moving forward' though in the grand scheme of things I had no idea what this meant! I am 19 weeks pregnant today so guess he wasn't having problems. Still hard to believe it only takes 1 and the other 58,999,999 weren't necessary! Fingers crossed for you!
  • thank you ladies, i had a chat with him last night but he didnt really know what they were going to do with his 'sample' but knew he would know the results in a eweek. men! if it was a woman we would know everything before we left the doctors room! Im glad he did it though, but he is now getting worried about him being infertile. i have tried to reassure him, especially as i am the one who is seeing a consultant after many years of 'womens' problems. guess we will just have to wait (but im so impatient!!!) :roll: and scared! :cry: