Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

would you be a surrogate for your friend?

hiya ladies just watched mondays episode of eastenders roxy as decided to be a surrogate for christian and his bf and it got me thinking if you had a best friend who was desperate for a baby would you consider being a surrogate?

Replies

• Yes - but as long as the baby wasnt genetically mine. It would have to be their eggs in my basket (so to speak). I've found pregnancy quite tough so far, but I couldnt imagine how it must feel to desperately want a baby and not be able to concieve. If I could help, I def would xx
  • yes i would and like glitterbug said their eggs my basket!!

I actually have a friend who has been trying over 18months, were not really really close but I thought to myself the other day if she asked I think I would do it. I can only imagine what shes going through and my heart goes out to them both. In fact she has been trying since I was pregnant so I just hope she gets her bfp before me as i would hate to tell her im expecting again x
  • Yes defo, but like the other ladies have said, their egg, my basket image

even though im currently expecting, would want my own babies first then i would in a heartbeat. Having a baby is so special and i know how much i wanted that bfp, so to be able to help someone close to me feel how i did and still do would be such an amazing feeling.

xxx
  • I'm not sure tbh - having had 3 mc's it would be lovely to be able to help but if I lost someone elses baby - well that's a whole other story.......also my PG hasn't been exactly the glowing experience I expected yet! But is of course soooo worth it for my own baby! Now for a relative I may consider it more.... :roll:

Love the analogy BTW - their eggs my basket :lol:
  • thanks for all your comments id worry about is becoming too attched to buba if it was my sister for example there would be no doubt at all in my mind id do it in a heart beat. iv read few horror storys one being in america were the lady was a surrogate and was impanted with the other ladies eggs had the baby and decided not to hand it over it went to court dont know what the outcome was but it was so sad though.
  • It would be an amazing wonderful thing to do for someone, but I also don't know if I'd be able to give hte baby up after carrying it for 9 months. It's such a special bond during pregnancy, to break it after the birth instead of being able to let it grow as you nurture and get to know your baby would be so difficult. But for a close friend or relative I probably would, as long as it was 'their eggs my basket' (love that!)
  • i think i would do it for a friend or relative would probably need to think a bit longer if it were for someone else though.not sure what the other half would think about me doing it, he is a really good when i'm pregnant with ours but he might feel a bit strange if i was carrying someone elses. what do you think your oh's would say about it?
  • i dont think i could detach myself from the baby even if it wasnt genetically mine, to me i dont think that would make any difference, ladies who go through IVF sometimes use other peoples eggs and feel that it is thier baby still so i am not sure the actual paternity would make a diference

it wasnt easy for us to fall pregnant, even though we did not need treatment, not sure i could share that heartache with another couple, for me although i love being pregnant it is no walk in the park and to do it to then give away the result i just could not, although i do take my hat off to people that can detatch themselves in that way
  • I think my OH would support me but I do admit he would find it difficult to watch my bump grow and baby kick without the bonding.

I couldnt exactly sit there and say 'oh look baby's kicking have a feel'

Im in 2 minds now x
  • I don't think I could do it and definitely not for a close friend or relative. I am already very attached to my wee bean and I don't think I would feel any differently at all if it wasn't really mine.

Also I think if at all I would rather do it for a complete stranger because I think having to see somebody else bring up the child you carried (and you would see it if it was your friend or sister) must be very hard so I would rather it was a person I did not know and would never see again in my life... but then again the thought of perhaps one day passing the child in the street without recognizing them is freaky too...wow, this topic is confusing but I think that I would find it too hard emotionally.

But I would support anybody who wants to do it as I think it is a very selfless and generous thing to do.