Forum home› Getting pregnant› Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

O/T Jobs/Careers

Hi

I am 29 and I still don't know what I want to do as a job/career! I trained as a legal secretary and worked in London but couldn't cope with the travelling so the firm I worked for had "offsite typists" working from home, which I have been doing for 2 years now. But I am sooo bored!!

I really want a job that is challenging, rewarding and varied as I do get bored easily!! Since working from home I have got v lazy, don't go out much and don't really see/speak to anyone. Have just joined a gym to get me motivated as I need to do something!!

I know I am v lucky to be working from home and it will obviously be v handy when I have a baby, but I really don't want to be doing this for the rest of my life.

Just wondered what jobs people do and whether you enjoy it etc. Any ideas on jobs would be great too!

Apologies if i have offended anyone as I know many people would love the opportunity to work from home and I know I am lucky.

Replies

• Options
    Just saw this on the front page:

I understand how you feel about working from home, I have the choice to go in or work from home and both my family and friends think I have won the lottery and don't understand why I go in nearly every day. At home I have the feeling that the walls are getting closer after a while and as much as I like talking to DH, I like talking to some other people once in a while.

As for a job suggestions: Before I start suggesting jobs wildly: Do you have a law degree or a college qualification? If you have a college degree, could you extend it with a uni degree? I find that higher qualifications can bring more challenging jobs.

I am working towards a doctorate in health research and it is challenging and very varied and I love it but is probably not for everybody.

Really keeping my fingers crossed that you find something that excites you.

• Options
    I understand how you feel. In my old job (only three of us in the company) I used to spend long periods by myself and really missed that office banter/someone to bounce off of if that makes sense? :lol:

I now work for an advertising agency in recruitment strategy and media planning. I do love my job but it can be ever so stressful sometimes.

Best of luck in your job hunt! x
  • Options
    It's so difficult isn't it, when you are supposed to know what you want to do when you are still a teenager. Ridiculous really! I started studying media and film as I figured I quite enjoyed it, went off to uni to carry it on then realised that although I quite enjoy it, actually it isn't what I want to do, so I left after 6 months. I have had only a few jobs since then (am 26 now) and have been in this current one (promotional products)for five years, but just sort of fell into it really

When I had my daughter in 2009 I had an epiphany. It just all suddenly clicked in my head- I'm going to be a midwife. It all makes sense now, but I could never have figured that out when I was at school because it took having my daughter (and seeing that sort of area I suppose) for the idea even to occur

I'm so excited that I now know what I'm going to do, although very frustrated that I'm not in the position to do it yet

Best of luck x
  • Options
    hi squirrel!

i admire you as if i worked from home id get up late eat lots of junk maybe do a bit of housework then watch daytime tv. Id forget all about work!

nothing to add in terms of advice hun, just wanted to say thanks for your lovely message the other day and hope you got my reply.

take care and good luck with your plans (including baby ones) xx