Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How to calculate your cycle when coming off the pill?

I took my last pill on 4th May, I had completed a full 21 day pack plus 4 extra days to tide me over whilst I was on holiday. I then had my withdrawl bleed on 6th May which lasted approx 3 days but I am now trying to calculate how long my cycle is from this. Do you take Day 1 of your bleed as the first day of your cycle and count from then or do you have to wait until you've had a proper period and then count from there?

I haven't had a normal period yet (31 days since my pill period started) and we have been having unprotected sex since I came off the pill however I took a test on Saturday morning and it was negative.

I am just a bit confused as to how to start working things out! :?

Any help gratefully received! x

Replies

• You count your first day of a new cycle from the first day of red full flow.

It can take a few months to get your periods to come back after being on the pill, so you may not have a proper period for a while until the pill hormones are out of your system.

The best thing you can do is to keep on with what you are doing now & test again in a couple of weeks if you've still not had a period x
  • hi

i came off pill and counted CD1 as first day of bleeding. but i didn't ov until CD21 then got first af CD35. i always used to have a 28 day cycle. then cycle 2 i ov'd CD19.

so the pill could just be messing you up a bit. are you sure if/when you ov'd?

good luck x
  • Yeah as above really, everyone is different. A friend of mine didnt have a period for 3 months after stopping the pill although she has finally had one now.

I was lucky though and got my 1st natural af on CD27 after my withdrawl bleed and think I am due af today although its not shown yet...........xxx
  • I was on the implant before we ttc, and I didn't ovulate for my first 2 cycles and had regular 32ish day cycles, and then when I did finally start ovulating, I found I didn't ovulate until around cd21, so the average cd14 was way off.

I would bd every other day throughout your cycle just to cover all bases until you start to notice the ovulation symptoms x