Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

When to tell work... not government timescale but your choice???

Hiya,

I know you dont have to tell work until 15 weeks before maybe is due... but surely you are showing a lot by then, need time off for appointments etc so it will be obvious.

I dont want to tell my bosses until the very latest I can, obviosuly I have to do by 15 weeks prior but I'd like to wait until end of February... do you think this will be plausible.

Thanks!!!

xxx

Replies

• Hey.

Is there a reason why you dont want to tell them?

You can tell them when you want to, but they have a duty of care and they should look at risk assesments and adjustments that might be needed etc. Also you will be entitled to time off for mat appointments but may miss out on time off for your first one or two

if you dont tell them til feb.
  • I told my boss as soon as I found out the last time so they could get parking sorted closer to the building in winter also as I travelled alot and visited sites they needed to know whether I could go to certain places in case of risk. I was glad I did as I got a new pregnancy chair that really supported my back for when I was in the office.x
  • I told work at 14 weeks when pg with my ds as we had office move and didnt want to lift/carry anything of any weight. i think i may have waited until about 16 weeks otherwise. nobody had any idea and i think i could of hidden it until about 20/22 weeks as just looked bloated rather than pg up til then! lol! xx
  • Thanks!!!

Basically we have put together our strategic plans for 2012 and I am doing a lot for it... so me leaving in the summer for a year isnt going to go down too well...

xxx
  • When i had DS i told my boss i was pregnant just after my 12 week scan- i'd literally only been working there for a month or 2 lol

I would say that being honest meant that my boss had plenty of time to figure out what she was going to do during my maternity leave.. I only started showing that i was pregnant when i was around 7 months pregnant so you have plenty of time (unless you're particularly small framed- i'm quite chubby lol)

Maybe your boss would appreciate the fact that you told them and gave enough notice to find a mat leave replacement? Then again.. if you suspect that you'll be treated differently then don't say until you have to. you know them better than we do..

Good luck with whatever you choose to do image xx