Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

feeling real broody yet still on mat leave

hey ladies,

I would love to start tcc this month but going back to work in January after a years mat leave, also applied for a new job and so waiting to here from that, so if all goes well I will be starting a new job in the new year. However, I think I would feel worried about telling my boss if I did get a BPF in jan, whether it's gong back to the old job or starting the new one.

some advice would be nice.

Replies

• Hi giftuk

I know how you feel I as to am nervous about telling boss when we fall pregnant. I have been back to work for just over a year but still anxious. However gotta do what and how you feel, we have decided to start trying for no 2 soo excited image

just be careful about maternity leave/pay etc if you were to get new job I'm not sure on rules but thought ya had to be there a certain amount of time before allowing this?

If you are ready now I'd say go for it image

xxx
  • hey Jessica,

That's really good news that you have decided to start trying for number 2! I feel really ready, but I think it's the fears of what other people would think i.e boss. Having a baby one year and then the following year having another one.

I work for the NHS so I have applied for another job still within the NHS, I read the maternity leave policy and it says and I quote " an employee is required to return to work immediately after maternity leave to ANY NHS employer" which means I can still go for that job and it won't effect my maternity pay. It would be so nice to have a another little one for my daughter, its just the fear of if I start the new job then a few months down the line having to tell my new boss i'm pregnant, but it hasn't stop us from trying, your right at the end of the day I have to do what best for me.

I think your fine as you have been working for over a year so thats perfect timing, I was hoping to do that but I don't think I can wait any longer, plus I don't want the age gap to be too big between my first and second.

How old is your first?
  • Fortunately I never had this problem as I never returned to work after DD1 was born (it was more cost effective to stay home) & on her 1st birthday conceived DD2.

with regards to work, you should never be afraid, everyone has differing ideas on families & when to have children. Most people will normally advise a 2-3yr age gap between children which will in most cases mean falling pregnant shortly after maternity leave ends.

Your employer can not dismiss you from your old job if you successfully carried it out during your previous pregnancy, you are legally entitled to return to it (unless the post has been made redundant at which point you should be offered as similar as possible).

With regards to new employment, as long as you have been in a job for 26wks before baby is born you are entitled to SMP. You only need to notify employer 15wks before due date (though would prob need to explain bump before, unless you are good at hiding it under baggy clothes).

In short, don't worry about what your employer thinks, do what you & your family feel is best. If your ready for another go for it (remember you may not get BFP straight away anyways)
  • Hi girls

I completely agree with you kazziem, although it may be a bit nerve racking at the thought of telling boss etc if you feel the time is right then family comes first image besides once us girls get broody o don't think much can stop us lol.

Giftuk our daughter will be 2 next month.

Have you made any decisions?

Xxx
  • Thanks ladies thats why I love baby expert lol

To be honest we have already started tcc this month so we are seeing how it goes, although i fell preg straight away on the night of our honeymoon just like kazziem it would be a blessing for it to happen right away again. Thanks for the advice ladies, its so important that i live my life for me and not for other people.

Hope you get your BPF soon Jessica, all the best.
  • Thank you giftuk I hope you do too image xx