Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How do u 'not try' and let it happen naturally?

Hi ladies haven't posted anything in a while but still pop in to see how everyone is doing. We are on our 10th cycle TTC#2, hubby had sperm analysis done in June all fine and I've just had my day 21 blood results and they were all fine (37.7 progesterone which I'm told anything over 30 means My gp said keep trying till January with the usual 'try not to think about it and be natural' and throw away the OPKs. But i dont know how u cant think about it...i know my body, i know im about to Ov when i get EWCM so then i'd be trying just as much as if id done an OPK. Said to DTD every 2-3 days...it's ingrained in me to do it every day around the two fertile days I'd feel like I was missing an opportunity if once in that time!! Oh I don't know, I know that chilling out would help but we only DTD once a week/fortnight so any more than that would be trying...how the hell are u supposed to not try!!

Replies

• *** (37.7 progesterone which I'm told anything over 30 means I've ovulated.)
  • It honestly drives me crazy knowing that some people dtd once and bam they're pregnant!!  My cousin was using condoms and she got caught, they even contemplated having a termination but realised it was meant to be.

Once you start this journey it's very hard to stop thinking about it and stop trying because ttc should be such an exciting time! yeh right, for the first couple of months!!!! and each 2ww you think this could be it!!

I've found that because of the internet there's nothing I don't know about fertility and ttc and like you say you really get to know what your own body is doing.

It's good to know all your tests are fine and the docs do say if you dtd every 2-3 days it will happen. I'm still waiting 13 months later!! (I am 40 though)

wishing you lots of luck xx

• Dya know hwat - i was going to post about this aswell! I am on month 6 and starting getting paranoid which is ridiculous as it only took 3 months last time and to be honest month 1 of that wasn't really trying properly. I keep googling secondary infertility and researching whether my csec will have had an effect. It's so difficult to just switch off to it isn't it!! 

Although - the month I fell pg - i was really busy at work and hardly thought about it so there is something in that. BUt to replicate that is ipossilbe lol. I am very busy at work now but still think about it every second of the day!!

Sorry there was no advice there - but like carioke said - at least the tests are fine. x

• Hey ladies,

It took us 1 month for dd and then 8 long months for ds!! It was the longest time ever and I was convinced there was a problem!! It's quite normal to take up to a year to conceive and something like 98% of couples conceive naturally within 2 years!!

I know how hard it is each month to see the witch!! We are ttc number 3 and are on mOnth 6 so who knows how long it will take this time image

Good luck and enjoy the practicingimage

Em xx
  • Oh it's impossible - if you're trying for a baby, you're trying for a baby!! But you can take it easier by DTD every 2-3 days rather than manically doing body temps/opks I guess it makes it a bit more 'natural'?

We're in month 5 now too and never thought it'd take this long, I think the initial excitement of 'trying' has definitely subsided now and i've calmed down a lot now I realise that just because I have sex at the right time i'll be pregnant. Every month that passes though I also sort of think that i'm more likely to be pregnant this month if you know what I mean because i've already been trying for a while. The average is 5 months isn't it so i kind of think this month will be it......but really no more likely than any other month!! x

• It's nearly impossible, but I have to say the last couple of months I did manage it and I have to admit at the time I felt like a huge weight had been lifted.

We bought a new house so I had something to take my mind off it. Instead of coming to baby expert 4-5 times aday, I looked for new furniture etc!

I still new we were dtd around ov time because I also know through cm and being very regular, but not having the added pressure made it fun again. I threw away all pg tests I had in the house and stopped using opk's, no thermometers.

... But still no bfp, so I'm trying to find a happy medium as after 22months it's draining being so dedicated to ttc only to have af turn up again.

Andi xx
  • Thanks for your replies ladies...not just me then driving myself mad! Snugglenush - I am in exactly the same boat as you! I got my BFP with my DS first month and I too had a section. I have googled secondary infertility god knows how many times and the likelihood of it happening following a section...the things we torture ourselves with!!??!! Well I'm trying to chill, I'm CD 25 of 30-32 day cycle normally I would be restraining myself from testing but this month i feel indifferent; I'm not going to test. Bloody sick of seeing one measly single line...I'm taking a stand (that's now , no doubt in 4 days time ill be down to tesco picking up a Cblue!!) xx
  • Well I am CD21 - I got my smiley on CD18 and I THINK I ovd on CD19 - but we are dtd again tonight just to be on the safe side lol. I foind wen I looked back at my charts that I was dtd up to ov but then not after . . .so thought I would make sure both sides of ov were covered this time lol! 

Like you said - I know it's daft and we should chill but it's so hard!!! I did well last month until 2 days before AF when I went out and bought some supermarket tests ha. I even tried to use my ov sticks to see if they would show up a potential pegnancy lol.

I just keep giving my self reasons each month to not be down about it - like if we got caught this month, it woud actually be v bad timing for maternit - as I am a teacher. But i'll still get upset I imagine.

Ah well - I guess it will happen when i'ts meant to!

x

• Generally it means taking the focus off 'wanting a baby' which can actually have a negative impact when DTD as both you & your OH start focusing on 'needing to' rather than 'wanting to'.

The normal cycle of a woman will see you most fertile shortly after your AF ends, a point at which most OHs are only too happy to DTD as many will have gone without whilst AF was around.  Take time out to remind yourselves why you're together, what it is you love about each other, enjoy a romantic evening & let yourselves get lost in each other (nature will do the rest).

It will happen when you don't 'expect' it too.  Best wishes & lots of babydust.

• It does start to get fustrating though I've been trying for nearly 3 years (2 years and 8 months) and sex does become a mission for ensuring that the sperm meet the egg... Lust is replaced with babymaking, plus you have the extra worry of trying to have sex in a timely way so that you do it around ov and not as often or mor than often... I completly sympathise with you all.... I just hope I get my BFP soon as I really dont want to do IVF in April image I am dreading the needles...