Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

thinking about trying for baby number 2 after christmas

Hi there,

My partner and I are hoping to try for a baby after christmas. I have a beautiful 4 year old son from a previous relationship who my partner has been involved with since he was a baby.

We had an accidental pregnancy early this year which sadly ended in miscarriage in may and we are now feeling ready to have another (plus little man keeps asking for a baby brother or sister lol!)

The thing is I have never actively tried to get pregnant and I dont know anything about cycles or when i ovulate or anything. My periods haven't been right since the d and c(?) so im not sure where to start, does anyone have any advice please?

Thanks image

Replies

• Hi Rainbowshoes,

My husband and I are planning on trying after Christmas too! I have been looking through quite a few forums and have read lots of useful information, especially on this forum.

Some people buy ovulation tests (which before reading this I didn't even know you could get!) to find out when they will ovulate, but I think you need to have some sort of idea when you usually ovulate as it only has something like a 48 hr window. If you are on a 'normal' 28 day cycle then you will ovulate 14 days after day 1 of period and should have your period 14 days after ovulation. If you know when you are ovulating then you will have the best chance of getting pregnant. Some people have an Ovulation app on their phones which apparently is very handy as you can record different changes in your body throughout the month, such as temperature, aches, pains, etc and then a pattern might start becoming more evident and you might be able to tell from just how your body is behaving if you are ovulating. Personally, i don't think I really have a pattern but then Ive never recorded things so I might surprise myself!

I came off the pill at the end of August and started taking Pregnacare in October but it seemed to mess my periods up and I went 50 days befoer having a period so I came off that and started on Sanatogen mother to be instead. I am hoping that my periods coming up to Christmas will get into some sort of rhythm before we TTC.

Anyway, I hope this helps in some way. Good luck.

GG2 x

• Hi,
    Just have fun with it! I think there is so much pressure on us women.
    When me and my partner TTC, there is no way i am buying these tests. im sure they are brilliant, but where the fun in planning your sex! 

Plus, it's a better excuse to have more of it haha

good luck hun 

xxxx

• I agree just do it and enjoy it and will happen , I finished my pill start of may, just had sex a couple time and was pg by June, no money and energy wasted on test and fake sex! Just relax for the first while then if need.be u can start planning sex later on but hopefully you will be lucky like me. Good luck !