Forum home› Getting pregnant› Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

temp rise day of or day after ov

I was just wondering, i have only just started temping (although dont know if
mine will be much good as im up a few times in the night to my little girl), do
you get the temp rise the day you ovulate or the day after? also does the temp
have to be over a certain temp i.e 36.6 or similar?
I thought
i would at least try temping as my cycles are irregular and im not sure what day
i ovulated. I had two days of pos opks and ff said i ovulated the the day of the
2nd pos opk (is that possible) or would it more likely be the day after?
Im worried we may have missed the crucial bd day as my oh was
"too tired". We bd on the two pos opk days and the day after,w hat the chances
we caught ovulation day?
thanks x

Replies

• Hi kk1, i have been doing bbt for 3 months and the temperature rise is the day after ovulation. It is also normal to get a dip the morning of ovulation and then the following morning the rise. Last month i had positive opk on sat and sun and then a faint on mon but by bbt showed i ovulated on the Sunday. So i read that as the lh surge ready for ov on the sat and the ov sun and then lh levels reducing after ov on the mon. Dont know if thats right but makes sense.

The temp just needs to be above your normal pre ovulation temps. So mynormal temps fluctuate between 36.1 - 36.4. When i ov my temps goes up to 36.6 + and then fluctuates between 36.6 - 36.8. But everyone is different.

The sperm can live for days so you dont have to bd on the day of ov to be sucessful. So its good to bd before ov. Of course if you can bd on the day of ov then great but it can be tricky to get that day right which is why bd every other day seems to work well for most.

Good luck x